• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

It's Official (EB=money pit)

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
Yes, it is now official. I have just crossed over that imaginary line where I spend more money on my rig than a normal person would ever consider spending based purely upon re-sale value. I know that this is a reality for most everyone here but, up into recently, my truck has run great with no major overhauls. I now feel like a true EB owner. I am preparing myself for the conversations with the gf about spending money on a rig that ordinary non-enthusiasts would find absurd. Wish me luck.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I passed that point a long time ago. Then again I knew before I bought it that I would sink more into it that I would ever get back. I didn't however know how much more it would be.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Welcome to the dark side.

Then again, if this is your DD then it is still cheaper than a car payment and full coverage ;D At least it is at first. Babygirl is right, once you get a couple the problem becomes which one to drop the dough on.

66horse

Bronco Guru
To me, that is only really a big issue if you plan on selling it someday.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
commonlaw said:
... I am preparing myself for the conversations with the gf about spending money on a rig that ordinary non-enthusiasts would find absurd. Wish me luck.

ARE YOU CRAZY? Maybe you can talk about such things with a girlfriend, or some imaginary wives out there, but EVERYTHING money wise that I put into my rigs is a fraction of the price when I tell my wife. :-X (or rather when she asks)
I'd be in the doghouse too often! ;)

TIGERNUTZ

Loc.
Louisiana
It's Official (EB=money pit)

WHAT!?! :eek:

All this time and noone told me? I don't know what to say..... :mad:

I hope my wife never finds out :-X .

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
It's about as expensive as a bad crack habit - but at least you have something cool to drive around in - sometimes!

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I wish I could drive mine around. Then my spending habbit would actually have something to show for. As of now, I've had my Bronco 12 months. I've almost got more money into getting it running then what I bought it for. And, it's still not running and only got to drive it for 2 months.

Welcome to the addiction. I'm getting close to driving it again. But, still have a ton of $$$ to dump into it to make it what I want.

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I put all parts that I buy for my Bronco in my personal Credit Cards....If my wife ever found out how much I have into it she would probably divorce me. :)

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
Trust me, the gf will not become privy to the true costs associated with this disease. This is most apt right now as her birthday is this weekend and the costs for such pale in comparison to today's EB purchase.

In all honesty, the substance of my original post really just dawned on me. I really have turned to the dark side. I will use every ounce of will power I have to stay away from a second one as I am sure the disease tends to exponentially worsen with each rig.

Someone mentioned the crack habit...well, the problem with my EB habit is that I haven't curbed any of my other vices either in consideration for my EB costs. I tried to quit chewing tobacco, so I started smoking, now I smoke and chew...I tried to quit drinking that fattening beer so I started drinking booze, now I drink beer and booze... I tried to join the practical world of reliable cheap transportation, then I BOUGHT A BRONCO.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
That's life....
I know my wonderful wife of 12+ years would kill me if she knew the exact amount I've dumped into my rig over the last year & half (the amount of time I've owned the Bronco). I added up the receipts the other day and ended up with well over $11,000. I only paid $2,700 for the damn thing! It doesn't even run much better now either... I've got my other vises too, but it's hard to tell how much I've spent on golfing, beer, poker nights, skiing, erc. So the Bronco is my official habit. I'm getting ready to pay my golf club membership dues & the little voice in my head is telling me that I could buy a compete new 9" with disk brakes & nodular case for that coin... I need a drink. :cool:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
You should have been a fly on the wall when I brought this \/ home .
I also got the rolling chassis, been piddling with it for a year, finally started to drop money into it now the conversations are even better!! The date for a roll out is being set for late Sept. When I return from Alaska it will be worked on every day untill complete. Now when she looks at everything she just shakes her head, she can see progress.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Tub.jpg
    Tub.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 43

samjaxfl

Loc.
Neptune Beach
If you did not replace perfectly good parts with new ones it would be a bunch cheaper. I only wish I had someone egging me on to get the best/bigger first rather than after I already installed other stuff.

3.5 lift to 5.5, old column build to new, rebuilding my 302 with lots of goodies rather than a ford crate after a bunch of fixes, 3 sets tires and rims, gears, then new lockers, then axles, paint without getting the rust issue resolved and now on my second paint job! 10K plus out the window on stuff I have replaced. I bet I have spent 300.00 in RTV alone must less the cleaners, pb blaster, oil, fluids, gunk etc.

Here we go with today's progress on my second set of paint at the cost of 3K hopefully this will keep the rust out more than 3 years.

Attachments

• DSC00773 (Small).JPG
    DSC00773 (Small).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 58

Punisher

Contributor
Revelation said:
You should have been a fly on the wall when I brought this \/ home .
I also got the rolling chassis, been piddling with it for a year, finally started to drop money into it now the conversations are even better!! The date for a roll out is being set for late Sept. When I return from Alaska it will be worked on every day untill complete. Now when she looks at everything she just shakes her head, she can see progress.
I think your tub may need some work. :eek: