• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Issues with C4 and new Blueprint 306

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
So this is the 4th time, and 2nd torque converter , that I have bolted up to my new BP 306. Each time the engine will warm up and a noise will continue to get louder from the bell housing area. I checked the bolts and internals around the tC and nothing is scraping. I initially thought it was the TC but ruled that out when I put a new Hughes in. It’s been a pain getting the TC, flexplate and c4 all to fit. I even had the transmission rebuilt while it was out. Aside from the noise the vehicle idles good but runs with very little power when put in gear ( almost like the it’s running on 7 cylinders.
I decided to break down and buy a complete C4 with torque converter and flexplate from Kurt Strecker. Just making sure when I do the install I’m not missing anything. Bolt everything up, make sure engine is not binding and can be rotated by hand. Put 4 qts or ATF-F in. Crank, run then add 2 more quarts, shift through gears. Top of fluid.
Anything anyone may want to add?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you ran the motor without th trans. Seems you might have 2 diff things going on.

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
OK, to save money stop buying parts.:)

Pain to get it all to fit, sounds like maybe TC was not inserted, then turned, then inserted fully?

Did you have to use TC bolts to pull the bellhousing to the engine block?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For all the money you have paid out, pay a shop to install so they can be responsible if the engine and trans are good. It sounds like the TC is not totally seated. That is the most stressful part of a auto trans install. When you have the trans installed/bellhousing bolts torqued, the TC should move a little toward the flexplate when you install the TC to flexplate nuts

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I’m sure the TC was seated, as I got the third drop as it seated into the transmission. But who knows. I agree, I’ll take it all to a shop and let them figure it out. Something sure as hell isn’t right..

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
so you think you had the TC drop twice on install but did you need to use the TC bolts to flexplate to pull the bell housing onto the engine block? All it takes is missing that one step once and you crack the pump inside the tranny case.

My technique, get bellhousing TC flexplate engine block all lined up (like its that easy...), loosely install two bolts on bellhousing one or two threads, loosely install TC bolts one or two threads. Then wiggle push manhandle tranny into seating bellhousing on block. I never use bolts to pull it together. Then tighten TC, then Bellhousing bolts.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
That’s entirely possible. I did use a piece of rod with a hook to pull the TC forward. However, it’s possible that there was a gap that was closed when the bolts were tightened.

Insayn

Starter bolts tight? I had chatter on right turns only. Thought it was inside the transmission I just had rebuilt but turned out to be the starter bumping into the flexplate. Just a thought.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Good call, but starter bolts are tight. Talked to mechanic and he will pull the old and install the new for $450 that’s hard for me to pass on.

Torkman66

Contributor
What finally came of this issue? Did mechanic get it fixed? What was the issue?

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Mechanic can’t look at it until after Thanksgiving. No one else will touch it due to its age.

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Got everything back from mechanic today. Pump was shot so they fixed that and there was an issue with the transfer case so they got replaced. Test drove it and response was sluggish and under powered. Same response as if choke was engaged. I’m going to change out gas and check timing. As of now I have a new BP 306 with 50 miles on it, a new c4 transmission and gearbox… If tune and gas changeout doesn’t work then I’ll be at a total loss…

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
Was the engine broken in, probably not. Did you install engine?

Efi or carb?

tire size, gearing? Altitude? You mentioned old gas, how old?

OP
OP
deltabronco

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Engine was not broken in, I installed, carb, tires are 33x 10.5 r15. 4:10 gears, gas was less than year old but had stabilizer in it. Altitude 331’.