• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is my bronco overheating?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I think it's fun doing these types of comparison, side by side how accurate can you keep all the conditions type tests...

Go for it! :)

Appreciate the time...

NCBeachBronco

I did some testing on mine this week. I measured max airflow at idle, with the meter up against my condenser, using various fans and a smaller pulley. Here's what I got.

Six blade 17 in. stock fan, stock pulley - 492 ft/min
Six blade 17 in. nylon flex fan from Summit, stock pulley - 708 ft/min
Seven blade 18 in. stock flex fan, 5.4in pulley - 846 ft/min

So, I got a 72% increase at idle. I'll see what that does for my A/C head pressure and engine temps.

Did you have a shroud with the 18" fan?
I have a steel aftermarket full shroud and a 18" fan would be super tight. Wouldn't feel comfortable with it spinning around up there. Besides that, I can't fit one in there with the A/C compressor anyway...

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Did you have a shroud with the 18" fan?

I have a steel aftermarket full shroud and a 18" fan would be super tight. Wouldn't feel comfortable with it spinning around up there. Besides that, I can't fit one in there with the A/C compressor anyway...

Yes. It's a original 7 blade fan and the stock fiberglass shroud. I have 1 inch clearance on the sides. I had to move my compressor back just a bit.
1dbf3922d4cbbff6dc4204f512105d2c.jpg

Last edited:

NCBeachBronco

Nice.
My 17" fan has about 3/4" clearance on the metal shroud. I think the 18 would not be a good idea. Need to get that meter and see what my airflow is with the 17 and small pulley.

OP
OP
flexmerc

flexmerc

So its been about two months since I first made this post, and I finally completed the changes; work and I just bought a new house, keep sucking up my time.

1. I removed the aftermarket, Vintage Air Compressor, AC radiator, hoses and the 14inch fan.

2. I installed the 18 inch standard rotation fan from Wild Horses, and a new 39 3/4 inch belt, but I was unable to put my Ron Davis Fan Shroud on because it is in the way now.

Now at a idle for over 15 minutes, the temp creeps up to 210, but stays there and will not go past it. Looks like success, I need to figure out the fan shroud deal and more stress testing for peace of mind.
Thanks for all the help guys.