• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In Tank Fuel Pump Interferes with Sending Unit

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting ready to install Holley's in tank fuel pump for carburetors and the ideal spot (center of the tank) is going to interfere with the arc of the sending unit.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/parts/19-365

I was looking at these options that are pretty slick, but there goes another $150 and after reading Holley's laser option may have some bugs.

https://www.holley.com/products/gau.../gauge_accessories_and_harnesses/parts/19-250

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=346/mode=prod/prd346.htm

Should I just install the in-tank pump off to one side on the other side of the baffle? Only issue is I could be sucking air when fuel gets closer to empty and off camber but that may only be a gallon or two.

Bad practice to go wheelin' on and empty tank anyways and may not be an issue since our tanks are so narrow anyways?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4232.jpg
    IMG_4232.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 19

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Go for the tanks inc ISSPRO sender. Wild horses also has one for their tank that may work on yours. The Holley is a nice looking unit but I’ve read some reviews that make me think they still have a few kinks to work out. Classic instruments also has that same ISSPRO sender in several lengths.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go for the tanks inc ISSPRO sender. Wild horses also has one for their tank that may work on yours. The Holley is a nice looking unit but I’ve read some reviews that make me think they still have a few kinks to work out. Classic instruments also has that same ISSPRO sender in several lengths.

You think putting the pump 1/3 of the way off the edge of the tank will cause fuel starvation when off camber?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You think putting the pump 1/3 of the way off the edge of the tank will cause fuel starvation when off camber?
Only if leaned in that direction, the other direction will help.
You can always put a Holley hydromat in the tank. Those will suck fuel until there isn't any fuel left to be sucked. I tried one once, it would work until there was nothing left in the tank.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I'm getting ready to install Holley's in tank fuel pump for carburetors and the ideal spot (center of the tank) is going to interfere with the arc of the sending unit.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...fuel_pumps/carbureted_fuel_pumps/parts/19-365

I was looking at these options that are pretty slick, but there goes another $150 and after reading Holley's laser option may have some bugs.

https://www.holley.com/products/gau.../gauge_accessories_and_harnesses/parts/19-250

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=346/mode=prod/prd346.htm

Should I just install the in-tank pump off to one side on the other side of the baffle? Only issue is I could be sucking air when fuel gets closer to empty and off camber but that may only be a gallon or two.

Bad practice to go wheelin' on and empty tank anyways and may not be an issue since our tanks are so narrow anyways?

Thoughts?
I texted you too so you don't do anything drastic cause I didn't see your post until now...don't!

Just change your sending unit to this type:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B098MHSCHV/?tag=classicbroncos-20

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
The more centred the pump the better. Especially if there’s a sump in the middle. Holley hydramat is a good solution if you‘ve got an open tank and the mat can lay on the whole bottom. There’s something welded into the middle of that tank. Even if it’s just 4 support pieces they’ll interfere with the hydramat. I would still look at replacing the sender.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the quick help gents. I ordered the one BA123 suggested after measuring tank depth etc and will post up how this whole thing works pump and all.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you check the ohms for your gauge? The one he linked isn’t right for a stock gauge.

Wild Horse 75, thanks for double checking. You've been a big help on all my fuel delivery questions. Yes, Im running Autometer gauges 240-33 OHMs compatible.

Last edited:

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Perfect. 240-33 is the usual universal sender. Got bit once when autometer changed to it. Fortunately I was using Dakota digital and I was able to change the gauge to work with the new sender from autometer.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I screwed up and read my Autometer gauge info wrong. Its stock 73 Ohms/8-12 Ohms. I think the easiest thing to do is to get everything together and swap the gauge later.

At least the pump and sender install is going well.

Attachments

• IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Holley fuel level using laser. I submit holley sniper as evidence #1, why you shouldn't.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
Swapping the gauge out is easy and inexpensive in the long run. You can sell the one you take out and unless you’re using first gen Phantom gauges it’ll match. I would get the gauge swapped over before you start driving it though. It’s not going to work well with your new sender.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got the new gauge in, pump and sending unit works great. The in-tank pump is much quieter than the Carter P4070 but loud enough you know its running when the engine is off.

Going to keep the Carter as a backup and make it so I can easily install it should the Holley in tank take a dump.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Got the new gauge in, pump and sending unit works great. The in-tank pump is much quieter than the Carter P4070 but loud enough you know its running when the engine is off.

Going to keep the Carter as a backup and make it so I can easily install it should the Holley in tank take a dump.
Just a question...I know you have a solution already...why didn't you just rotate the sending unit one screw to the left or right to avoid the in-tank pump? Are the screws offset (not equally spaced)? Baffles in the tank interfere?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk