• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition cylinder replacement recommendation

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, all the action goes on inside the switch itself. The lock cylinder is just that. A "lock" mechanism for the key. All electrical and mechanical functions go on deeper in the switch.
Which is why you should feel spring resistance when you use the screwdriver trick.

Paul

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I second eBay. I got a nearly complete NOS set for my Bronco (both doors and ignition, but not liftgate lock) there. I dug my ancient (replaced by overseas imitation) liftgate latch out of my junk pile and was able to rebuild it using tumblers from the cylinders I removed. Voila, same key for everything.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Is there a spring in the cylinder? I can’t imagine it’s the spring that compresses the ignition switch, collar, etc and hold them in place. But again this is a naive question…. Thanks in advance.

The bakelite portion of the switch that the lock cylinder (or screwdriver) turns has a groove that contains a spring.
The spring compresses against a post on the metal switch housing when the switch is rotated to the Start position.

spring.jpg

parts.jpg

ShoeSlinger

I had the same issue on a new ignition switch (probably same one you have). The trim collar has two horns that lock into place. On mine it didn't fully engage until I filed it and it allowed it to fit correctly. Prior it was just slightly crooked (not enough to visually see) and enough to not allow the ignition to return to the proper position when starting.

OP
OP
twoshoes69

twoshoes69

Contributor
I had the same issue on a new ignition switch (probably same one you have). The trim collar has two horns that lock into place. On mine it didn't fully engage until I filed it and it allowed it to fit correctly. Prior it was just slightly crooked (not enough to visually see) and enough to not allow the ignition to return to the proper position when starting.
I decided after driving it this week that I have got to get this resolved. but today I started by removing rear bench, pulling out crappy carpet added in 2006 and spending HOURS removing adhesive.... just another project!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, it’s a rabbit hole for sure. And the snowball effect in full swing!

OP
OP
twoshoes69

twoshoes69

Contributor
Oh, it’s a rabbit hole for sure. And the snowball effect in full swing!
That is precisely where I am at! Now I have questions about OEM style floor mats, and do I really need insulation / sound dampening, etc.... time for a new post!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, and yes.
Yes, you always need insulation. Helps with sound and heat.
And yes, it’s probably worthy of a new post.

But once you do, you’ll probably realize why there are literally hundreds of threads regarding insulating an overly hot, overly cold, or overly noisy, bronco interior.

OP
OP
twoshoes69

twoshoes69

Contributor
Yes, and yes.
Yes, you always need insulation. Helps with sound and heat.
And yes, it’s probably worthy of a new post.

But once you do, you’ll probably realize why there are literally hundreds of threads regarding insulating an overly hot, overly cold, or overly noisy, bronco interior.
thank you - I will create a new post after I have searched through the interiors posts.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I decided after driving it this week that I have got to get this resolved. but today I started by removing rear bench, pulling out crappy carpet added in 2006 and spending HOURS removing adhesive.... just another project!
I feel your pain! That carpet glue is the devil to remove. My bed had a layer of carpet glue on which there was added a healthy layer of bedliner. Took a gallon of paint stripper to get the bedliner off. The carpet glue required a knotted wire brush on an angle grinder.

Randy

OP
OP
twoshoes69

twoshoes69

Contributor
I feel your pain! That carpet glue is the devil to remove. My bed had a layer of carpet glue on which there was added a healthy layer of bedliner. Took a gallon of paint stripper to get the bedliner off. The carpet glue required a knotted wire brush on an angle grinder.

Randy
good lord! that must have been a serious project!!

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Yep, took way more time to get it stripped to metal than I could have cut the old bed out and welded in a new one…glutton for punishment, I guess, or just cheap. Lol
They covered up a lot of problems in the front floor bedliner with a layer of bondo covered by another layer of bedliner.

Randy

OP
OP
twoshoes69

twoshoes69

Contributor
Yep, took way more time to get it stripped to metal than I could have cut the old bed out and welded in a new one…glutton for punishment, I guess, or just cheap. Lol
They covered up a lot of problems in the front floor bedliner with a layer of bondo covered by another layer of bedliner.

Randy
Well, I appreciate your perseverance. There is a point of no return where you just say “crap, I’ve gone this far, can’t go back now!”