• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost f250 VS astrovan !! 4BT

krause

I have a hydroboost unit that im 99% sure is the f250 unit. Looks the same and has same numbers on it so it has to be it. Now since im throwing a ppump cummins 4BT in I can not fit the unit straight to the firewall I have to use either the angled bracket or that other one on ebay that mounts it further over parallel with the fender but I will be installing a clutch master on the firewall in that same area and this parallel bracket I think some have said will block this area. Both of these brackets are advertised for use with astroboost not f250. Do you think mine could bolt up. Id rather buy somrhing that will work rather than have to customize shafts etc. Or should I just sell my f250 hydro and buy an astroboost. One less headace for me is worth it. What do you guys think?? Thanks for any input

Last edited:

70_Steve

Old Guy
I think most, if not all, of these hydroboost units are made by Bendix. Could be minor differences over the years, but it seems like the biggest difference I've seen is just in the length of the input rod.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a hydroboost unit that im 99% sure is the f250 unit. Looks the same and has same numbers on it so it has to be it. Now since im throwing a ppump cummins 4BT in I can not fit the unit straight to the firewall I have to use either the angled bracket or that other one on ebay that mounts it further over parallel with the fender but I will be installing a clutch master on the firewall in that same area and this parallel bracket I think some have said will block this area. Both of these brackets are advertised for use with astroboost not f250. Do you think mine could bolt up. Id rather buy somrhing that will work rather than have to customize shafts etc. Or should I just sell my f250 hydro and buy an astroboost. One less headace for me is worth it. What do you guys think?? Thanks for any input

Like Steve mentioned, the length of the input rod will be different and probably the bolt pattern on the studs in the mounting plate that bolts to the firewall.

If I were you, I'd sell the F250 and get an Astro booster.

Todd Z.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
As was said, the length of the push rod coming out of the booster and the bolt pattern on the mounting plate. The astro booster will bolt up to a stock angled bracket, but a super duty one won't. Astro seems to be the most commonly used one.

OP
OP
K

krause

Ok so seems like if im using anykind of bracket I should get an astroboost and sell my f250 setup

OP
OP
K

krause

Dont know the year. Dont even know if its 100% f250 just it looks exactly like it and has same 4 digit number on it.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Dont know the year. Dont even know if its 100% f250 just it looks exactly like it and has same 4 digit number on it.

I would say that is definitely a Super Duty hydroboost.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
K

krause

What would this entire setup with the MC be worth if I sold it here. (Please someone answer this who does not want to buy it lol)

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Well, the astros go for 50bucks shipped. I think it would go for the same amount especially since it isnt the most wanted unit.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
This is my factory power steering bracket with Astro hydroboost and astro master cylinder

Attachments

• 2014-07-23 17.40.40.jpg
    2014-07-23 17.40.40.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 115

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Well, the astros go for 50bucks shipped. I think it would go for the same amount especially since it isnt the most wanted unit.

$50 is about what I've paid in the past for F250 units so that sounds pretty fair.

Todd Z.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I had a plate made by a member here to mount my F250. I have an old post showing the trial stage of the test fit. I also had a spacer plate made to space the MC out 1/2 and rotate it. I have yet to install it for good. I have to have one high pressure line made and I can install it. its on my list of things to get done.

Found my old post
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219757

akirshbom

I know this is an older thread but this may help someone down the road. the astrovan is perfect for mounting on firewall as is since the push rod is about 7" IIRC, the Mustang (2006 GT) and Superduty are great for mounitng to angle bracket as their pushrod is about 4" In either case no push rod mods required. I recently used the Mustang on a bracket and works great.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I know this is an older thread but this may help someone down the road. the astrovan is perfect for mounting on firewall as is since the push rod is about 7" IIRC, the Mustang (2006 GT) and Superduty are great for mounitng to angle bracket as their pushrod is about 4" In either case no push rod mods required. I recently used the Mustang on a bracket and works great.

I had a member water jet me a simple flat mounting plate for my F250 hydro unit which I have yet to install. I have however had it mounted and mocked up for fit. I simple cut the MC to brake pedal rod and chased threads on both cut ends and added a threaded sleeve to extend it. Making the push rod adjustable.

I have an old thread with pictures and details of it mounted.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

Actually, it's the opposite. The Astro unit has the short pushrod and works great on the angle bracket and the Super Duty unit has the longer pushrod making it better for firewall mounting without mods. I know several folks who have used it without mods. I lengthened mine just a bit to fine tune my pedal height.

Todd Z.