• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hurricane Turbine Cyclone Western Wheels Rims

Twistin5.0

Hi I'm new here, and i've done some serious searching for info on these turbine rims. (i hope the pictures post) these are W.R.Grace wheels, with the date of 1976 on the back. I just want to thank everyone who posted about this topic. was very helpful. Bob.

McLeod

Franko-
I didn't mean to take over your thread here, it's just that mystery of years past and lost info kinda sucked me in.

I just located a great resource for anyone who wonders "what type of wheels do I have?"

http://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/

Last edited:

17philldal

Hey guys, sorry for digging up an old thread but for the life of me I can not find any info on these wheels and I'd really like to find some center caps so i can get them mounted on my truck. They're 5x5.5 bolt pattern. 15x8.50 and I believe aluminium. They were given to me for free when a family friend was about to scrap them. If anyone has any info or knows where I could find some center caps that would I'd greatly appreciate it.
12409ea36de8898e22eb28456d5f31b1.jpg
256e7b9fbd0e42dfa1e95b1aa3634a8f.jpg
513d81d9eaccbe777b4906078c0eb972.jpg
acde99ef423e9c4ac0bd2a7f9faa4f0e.jpg
f127bab739d8264b688a1a99f7141c4b.jpg
5c6e5d732e874c3850eefbc7d86aed81.jpg
e144d400d714d41dfa9ae0030b8bcf8f.jpg
556e59fe2747f9df4409366a8adfc204.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice score!
I don't know the specifics unfortunately, but I would think most of the standard large bore caps/covers would work in those. Yes, the wheel manufacturers made their own labeled ones, but most of them were the same shape and size from company to company, with just the different label.
Might even have been made by the same company and just private labeled, so to speak.

But that's where it ends. You should measure your bore opening to be sure of it's size, but someone will come up with a style/part number for you I'm sure.

Are you going to refurbish them? I've been hearing a lot about 'wheel acid" lately and someone just recently posted up how they used it on their aluminum transmission housing with good results.
Others have had their aluminum wheels polished with great results too. Not too expensive either from what I remember.

Paul

17philldal

I've been debating between polishing them up or just painting them black. I haven't quite decided yet.

McLeod

Nice find for sure.
Look them over real good for damage: cracks, corrosion and wallowed out lug holes.

And make sure you use the correct lug nuts for the application.

Most aftermarket center caps should work.

Measure the bore in the wheel and go from there.
My wheels are 4.25 inches center hole and the universal stainless steel caps I bought on Amazon are just under that.
You can tweak the flange of the center cap to make a small variance disappear, or use some silicone or something, if there is a small difference.

Good luck!

McLeod

And those are ET wheels, as denoted with the marking on the back side.

It looks like ET was a Kelsey Hayes company or brand in the 80's, but in the 70's it mentions a division of FDI Inc.

You will see your wheel in the 80's catalog near the bottom of the page.

http://vintagewheelcatalogs.com/e-t/

17philldal

Do you happen to know the style center cap to use on these wheels. I do not see a recession on the back of the wheel that a flange would sit into. I was looking at the style that bolt on using your lug nuts however I don't have any to test fit to make sure they'll sit in the wheel correctly and let the lug nuts seat correctly. These wheels came off a mid 80s F150 and I'm trying to install them on late 90s Ram.

McLeod

If you click that last link I gave it will show you what the original caps looked like.
You MIGHT be able to find something similar.

As far as a flange for the aftermarket type caps, it usually is not an actual flange but a slight bevel, and as evidenced by your photo your wheels have a slight beveled relief machined in to the back side that would probably accommodate the universal style cap.

Also, I have heard stories the 5.5 x 5 Dodge wheels will fit Ford, but Ford wheels don't always fit Dodge (or is it the other way around?? - I can't remember).

Check fitment first.

011-233x300.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is not always a recess for the caps. In fact it's better that there isn't one, because when the wheel is installed the pressure on the flange keeps the caps tight and less likely to rattle.
Of course, a tight fit in the bore would help with that as well, but this way they were able to make one cap fit even if the bore left it a tad loose.
As long as the flange on the cap is thin like the material then, it's presence without a recess on the back of the wheel should not be an issue.

Paul

17philldal

I have one installed now for a spare. Ford will fit a dodge but not the bother way around due to ford hubs being slightly larger

17philldal

Thank you guys for your all your help. I see most caps jump from 4.25 to 5.1 bore size. I believe my bore measured around 4.5 with an old tape measure. I guess I'll get a cheap one if each and see which fits best. And I'll check that link out. Thank you

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Also, I have heard stories the 5.5 x 5 Dodge wheels will fit Ford, but Ford wheels don't always fit Dodge (or is it the other way around?? - I can't remember).

It's usually the Ford wheels will fit the Dodge, but not always the other way.
In some cases they both fit each other just fine because some years the hubs were the same for both manufacturers. But Dodge did use some funky small bearing hubs and maybe wheels that were designed for those trucks would not come close to fitting a larger hub Ford.

Once Ford went to hub-centric setups with smaller hubs and bores, I think they were already in the metric bolt pattern too, so anything from a Ford with a 5 on 5.5 pattern "should" have the larger bore wheel.

Of course, I could be wrong on that too! Especially whenever I say "always" or "for sure" in the sentence!;D

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thank you guys for your all your help. I see most caps jump from 4.25 to 5.1 bore size. I believe my bore measured around 4.5 with an old tape measure. I guess I'll get a cheap one if each and see which fits best. And I'll check that link out. Thank you

Good luck...