• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

? how to move axle back1" with Ruffstuff spring plates.

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I'm considering moving my axle back about an inch. The truck is a 1974 with heavy duty 9 inch rear end. I just got some new wall horses Springs and I bought the heavy duty prerunner spring plates from Ruffstuff. Their spring plates have three holes so that you can adjust either one inch forward or 1 inch back on the center pin. My question is do I not have to also get Ace lower spring pad it has either an inch forward or an inch back adjustment on it as well for the centering pin for these to line up and work?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They don't seem to require any other tweaking to make them work with just 1" of offset. I would think if you tried to get more, you'd have to start messing with things, but I've never heard of anyone here that's using that method that needed to do anything.

There is no lower spring pad, so that's not an issue. The only thing I can think of that changes with this is the angle of the u-bolts as they pass through the upper spring plate on top of the pack. It "might" mean you needed to enlarge your u-bolt holes a bit, but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone having to do so.

Lots of members doing that mod though, so I'm sure some will pipe up about there experience with moving the axle back.

By the way... What is making you go through this? Just wanting to get a longer wheelbase? Needing some clearance somewhere? Is this an uncut rear truck, or does it have flares?
If old-school flares, they had a pretty steep drop in the leading edge of the rear fender openings. This often led to the larger tires rubbing on the flare itself, and cutting a nice half-moon notch in them.

One cure is to move the axle back like you're contemplating. The other is to use a more modern flare with the larger opening.
If uncut, then it's either cut or move obviously. I prefer move!

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Usually you can just drill the spring pad on the axle 1" forward of the existing hole.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Look into diy4x.com. They have an ez-inch block that bolts in the spring pack and moves the center pin back 1" or 1.5". Its ez. They even sell new u bolts and degree shims that bolt right to the block to get proper driveshaft angle. Once the ez-inch and degree shims are bolted together then you bolt them to the spring pack. You can either drill your top plate to work or buy their heavy duty too plates and it all works great. They have video if younwanna see it before you buy it

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I just installed Ruff Stuff perches and U bolt plates. Worked great for the Lubr. Not familiar with the pre runner plates. Just the U bolt plates are not going to move your axle back.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I figure the upper plate would not do it as I don't want angled ubolts. Lower spring perch stock I mean is a little short in my eyes to refill and use. . Ruffstuff has those perch pad offset combo but not in our axle dis. So I may get and grind it out to fit. Running 33x10.5x15 and they are close to the leading edge of rear fenders.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Centers the wheel in the opening. Looks better.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Usually you can just drill the spring pad on the axle 1" forward of the existing hole.

Unless I'm missing something it seems as simple as drill the pad 1" forward, as Viper suggest, and also drill the upper plate 1" forward. Would that not do the trick?

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Unless I'm missing something it seems as simple as drill the pad 1" forward, as Viper suggest, and also drill the upper plate 1" forward. Would that not do the trick?

That is exactly right. I did mine that with the ruff stuff perches and then drilled the extreme U-bolt plate from Wildhorses that came with my lift.

Here it is on 33x10.50r15.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 113

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WOW!A new vendor,wall horses,hmmm may have to buy from them now.HAHAHAHA!Sorry couldn't resist,don't shoot me;D

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
That is exactly right. I did mine that with the ruff stuff perches and then drilled the extreme U-bolt plate from Wildhorses that came with my lift.

Here it is on 33x10.50r15.

Thanks. That mod may be in my future. Same size tires yours catch the front lip on the passenger rear occasionally but I only have 2.5" of lift.

How lift and what brand you running in that pic?

Thanks,
Tyler

navalbronco66

You remember what size you drilled those holes. I have the Wild Horses 3.5 inch leaf springs and their heavy duty u bolt kit. I also have their anti wrap leaf spring perch, so I was also planing on drilling that one and the top plate.

Did you use a dril press or just a regular drill? Any tips on making sure everything comes out perfect?

OsideDave

I'm pretty sure the Ruff Stuff perches are longer than stock style perches therefore offering more support especially when trying to offset by 1 inch. I am having a shop do mine now, they will reset driveline angle as well.

OP
OP
mofoco1

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Well as soon as I get the new electronic ignition box installed and check fluids I am bringing it back to the front so I can work on it. I like Ruffstuffs perches as they add support thru their length and allow for the 1" I need

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The RuffStuff perches are already drilled for moving the axle.
So are the RuffStuff spring plates that go on top of the leaf pack.

The ones pictured on the WH website are not.

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Thanks. That mod may be in my future. Same size tires yours catch the front lip on the passenger rear occasionally but I only have 2.5" of lift.

How lift and what brand you running in that pic?

Thanks,
Tyler

It has a 3.5" suspension lift from Wildhorses and a 1" body lift. The tires (BFG mud terrains) clear virtually everywhere except the radius arms. I think they will clear the radius arms once I get it aligned and the steering adjusted.