• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you restore brushed aluminum wheels

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I'm thinking of getting an old set of brushed aluminum wheels, but they look kinda grubby. Not beat up, they just look like 45-50 year old wheels that haven't been maintained, which they probably are. Not powdery oxidized, just old looking. There's all kinds of stuff on the interwebs about polishing old oxidized wheels, but I just want these to look factory new, not polished. They may just need cleaning, but I've never had any polished wheels or uncoated brushed aluminum wheels. It's a set of the old "free wheeling" wheels, so I don't want to kill the value of them.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I clean mine with etching cleaner, usually each time I get a new set of tires.
And my rims are 45 years old.

900759-ae3214df1662d73917642fa508dad4a6.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Boat store, pontoon boat cleaner.

Clean, but not polished can be a fine line to walk.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I have a set of really old slots....Had them machine polished once years ago and they looked like chrome. Over the years they dull. I hadn't realized how bad they got but was able to revive them to presentable......used a Mother's polishing cone and a cleaner called White Diamonds.....came out pretty good...patience is the key!
BEFORE.jpg AFTER.jpg

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I clean mine with etching cleaner, usually each time I get a new set of tires.
And my rims are 45 years old.

View attachment 901239
I hope you have a good supply of this, if this is your preferred brand. It appears NOBODY has it in stock, at least on the internet. If I end up getting those wheels, I think this method will be my starting point. Does this stuff make your wheels look new again? And do you apply it with the wheels on or off the vehicle, being that it is an acid cleaner?

And thanks for all the responses so far! If there are any more, keep them coming...

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
No supply on hand.
The fact that it is off market does not suprise me. I live in California, and can't even buy denatured alcohol.
It makes the wheels look like raw aluminum.
It is (was) great for cleaning the rough sand cast surfaces in the slots and back side. I always clean the wheels before buying a new set of tires.
I pull wheels off the Bronco, strip the tape weights off back side, clean all over so the tire shop has clean surface for new tape weights.

I guess I will have to try pontoon cleaner next time.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I took my 1977 slotted mags, made in Japan of all places, to a wheel repair place and had them polish them.
‘they weren’t pitted but pretty dirty. No many places do that anymore