• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley 4bbl choke question.

Speedracer800

Has anybody tried to just remove the electric choke mechanism all together? This thing has been a big pain in the a$$ for me. My bronco is only driven during summer months so "warming up" isn't a issue for me. Any thoughts? Am I just being lazy? ;) thanks for any help.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
You can remove it and tie the choke back in the open position, but the better thing to do would be to turn the screw on the bottom counter clockwise to back off the amount of choke idle rpm, and possibly also turn the choke back some to lean it out on cold starts.

Here's a link to the screw I mentioned at about 2 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5IBSFgYJE

I'm in FL and don't like the high revving for several minutes when the motor is cold in the warm weather so I have mine adjusted back as mentioned above.

OP
OP
S

Speedracer800

Thanks for the reply. Yea I've backed off the idle screw like you described and it just seems like as I'm driving periodically the choke must be closing up a little from time to time because the idle comes up and I have to kick it down. Just annoying.. Don't know what the issue is. :/

notorious

Loc.
Nashvegas
There may be some binding on the choke rod or sticking step cam. It is possible to remove the cam and butterfly entirely, however take a choice look at the cam, lever and electrical connections to eliminate a potential problem. These are mechanical in nature and do fail from time to time.

OP
OP
S

Speedracer800

There may be some binding on the choke rod or sticking step cam. It is possible to remove the cam and butterfly entirely, however take a choice look at the cam, lever and electrical connections to eliminate a potential problem. These are mechanical in nature and do fail from time to time.

That's a good thought and definitely the next thing I'll look at. I've gotta get the carb on the bench and have a good look at it. I'm used to racing carbs with none of this pesky choke business in the way.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
You can probably disconnect some of the linkage or the control arm that goes from the "bimetal coil" to the choke butterfly. then wire it open.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have often wondered if I can replace my electric choke with a manual choke.
Holley T/A 670

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
There are two varieties. Both can be made to work well. If you have the type that has a small vacuum pot near the front right corner this needs vacuum or the fast idle will come on at weird times. I would start by checking that is working correctly with the engine off. With 12V does the choke warm up and pull completely off? When completely off is the fast idle cam have an air gap? If not then one or both of these to be adjusted.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Why not just loosen the 3 screws that hold the housing on, and turn it so the choke is fully open all the time? Thats what I do in the summer months. Takes like a minute.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
When you turn the housing all the way I do not think it disables the fast idle cam. Worth a try.