• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with troubleshooting 2100 Carb

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Dirty air only gets into the choke heat stove if the system isn't maintained correctly. The air going in comes from a nipple in the carburetor top behind the choke housing. It's clean filtered air. This side of the heat stove system is often rusted off or removed by lazy owners who don't understand or care enough to maintain the automatic choke heat system. There are few '60s and '70s carbureted vehicles that still have a complete working automatic choke systems. It's not surprising Chris doesn't know the air is filtered.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"Chris" may B me (Chrls).

My rebuilt to stock system was & is not filtered anywhere. It's got it's lill asbestos sock back on, etc, etc.
No surprises here, sir.
However I do not havea 2100 or 2150 whatever they are. It's the original carb on the original motor till later this summer - different than this one? I doubt it but may B...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Yes it is. The filtered air is sourced at the carburetor. The 2100/2150 carburetors are the only V8 carbs used as original equipment in early Broncos. If you have something else it's not original.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Going to Rock Auto for a rebuilt 2100 is a problem. You now have no idea what 2100 you have. To ID the carb, you need the letters and numbers stamped on the front drivers side foot on the vertical surface, plus the venturi size cast on the driver side of the float bowl. The 2100/2150s changed every year so we need to what year and transmission you have to see if Rock Auto came close. The large scale rebuilders rarely get it right.

This is true.
The EGR and non-EGR carbs have different different jetting.
You can however improve the performance a bit by using a bigger 2100/2150 and larger exhaust.
I did that for a while on my '77. I used a 2150 from a F150/351 and increased the exhaust pipe, muffler and catalytic converter to 2.5".
It ran like crazy, and passed CA emission tests for years.
The trick was to get the jetting right. Wish I had my wideband AFR gauge back then.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dirty air only gets into the choke heat stove if the system isn't maintained correctly. The air going in comes from a nipple in the carburetor top behind the choke housing. It's clean filtered air. This side of the heat stove system is often rusted off or removed by lazy owners who don't understand or care enough to maintain the automatic choke heat system. .

This ^.

A comment as it relates to rebuilding/rebuilt 2100s...the brass emulsion tubes on the boost venturi assembly are usually very brittle due to their age and are often split over their full length. Not easy to spot unless you are looking specifically for that ...and makes the carb performance erratic. I've gotten in to the habit of "harvesting" any good ones I find in otherwise junk carb cores before I dispose of them.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
:...something else it's not original..."
last post here: 4 motors in bronks, 6 different carbs...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
:...something else it's not original..."
last post here: 4 motors in bronks, 6 different carbs...

Regardless..the 2100 and 2150 carbs were the ONLY that were ever delivered by Ford on all 2V V-8 engines from 1950s through late 70s . Period. kay?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A bigger carb may help a little in full throttle high RPM operation, but for everything else including MPGs the smaller carbs are better. A compromise is possible with a small 4bbl. The 480 CFM 4100 with 1.08" venturis IS an OE 2100 with 2 more barrels to augment high RPM full throttle operation. The vacuum secondaries stay closed till the air velocity in the primaries indicate a need for more volume.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The reason I used a larger 2 barrel was I needed to stay CA emissions compliant, but really needed more air.
I had re-geared to 4.11s, and when traveling down a two lane highway, it would just plain run out of air when the C4 kicked into passing gear. It would get out there and couldn't pass. Sort of left you in a lurch!:eek:
Anyway the bigger 2 barrel, and bigger exhaust made the difference and passed CA emissions too.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Chris's last post was sufficiently cryptic that I have no idea what he said. Is there an English translation?