• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help!!!!more Overheating Problems

CRUZIN66

Loc.
SAN DIEGO
I JUST DROPPED IN A NEW 302, AND IVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. HERES THE DEAL. STANDARD WATER PUMP, ALUMINUM RAD, 180 THERM. 7 BLADE FAN, 16 LB CAP. CITY DRIVING NO PROBLEMS, UNTIL I GET ON THE FREEWAY. ENGINE STAYS AT 180 THEN THE PRESSURE RELIEF ON THE CAP BLOWS AND MY TEMP SKYS TO 230. I HAVE TO PULL OVER FILL THE RADIATOR BACK UP THEN ITS FINE FOR AWHILE. THEN BAM!!!! THE DAMN THING DOES IT AGAIN. I NEED HELP PLEASE. AM I MISSING SOMETHING??? DO I NEED TO GO TO A 19 LB CAP??? THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER AND ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY. thx,rob

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Probably a leaky head gasket. What's happening is you get on the freeway, then your pumping pressure into the system, and it's blowing out the water. Fill up the radiator, let it idle until it warms up, the watch to see if it keeps bubbling water out.
Tom

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Sounds like a blown head gasket. Are you sure they are in the right direction? If it's losing fluid and pressurizing the coolant system it's a head gasket. Did you surface the heads when you put the engine back together?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Could be a defective cap.
Or a head gasket problem. Theres a simple test to see if there's any HCs in your coolant to indicate a gasket prob.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Did you build it yourself? or did you get a whole new rebuilt, if so I would contact the builder.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
make sure your lower radiator hose has a spring in it. They have a tendency to collapse when the engine is really working it, like on the freeway. Also, if you built the engine, are you sure you got the head gaskets on the right way? There is a right way and a wrong way on a SBF? If you didn't build the motor, you may want to ask your rebuilder.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
All caps are not the same. They are made for diff depths of filler neck. Your 19 lb cap may be just touching the seat where it should seal so a little pressure will cause it to bypass. Measure the depth. Also you do have a coolent recovery bottle I hope. If not that is my first guess.
When the engine warms up coolent and air will go out then when it cools down the engine will suck the coolent back in if you have a recovery bottle, if not it will suck air back in.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The problem you are describing is exactly the problem I had on a Mustang (289)with a head gasket on backwards. It would idle fine right around the temp of the thermostat, as soon as you got on the road it would get extremely hot, the top radiator hose would swell up and eventually it would blow just about all the water out. I would try the other suggestions first, just be careful and don't ruin your engine.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The front marked on the head gasket goes to the front whether its upside down writing or right side up. Ive seen dozens put on backwards on one side because people thought it must be wrong when I was a dealership mechnic. I could be wrong but thats where I would look