• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help: James Duff 4 Link and Brake Hard Lines

tripleJs15

Need a little help, for those running the 4 link setup are you using any of the stock hard lines, if so which and which would not work? I would love to see what was done, pics etc.

From the brake line layout the front axle may work, the rear axle may not, the single front the back may but there's on obstruction from one of the frame mounts.

Some notes:
  • 1972 Bronco
  • Wilwood disc in all 4 corners
  • James Duff Dual Sport 4 Link
  • TDK Frame

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
With a 4 link you will need custom brake lines. Hard line to a upper link mount then a flexible line onto the link hard line down the link and another flexible line off the link and back to a hard line across the axle housing

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or you can run your hardline to the rear cross member in front of the gas tank and do an extended length center drop hose down to the rear end...you don't have to go down the upper link(s) if you don't want to, though that can be a pretty slick way to do it when done well.

OP
OP
T

tripleJs15

Or you can run your hardline to the rear cross member in front of the gas tank and do an extended length center drop hose down to the rear end...you don't have to go down the upper link(s) if you don't want to, though that can be a pretty slick way to do it when done well.

This was the original plan, from prop valve, down driver side frame rail then drop down with a flexible hose to the rear axle. It seems I would need to bend new lines for the rear axle.

The front axle may be able to reuse the stock bends, thoughts?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the 4-link truss, you'll definitely need to fabricate new hard lines for the rear end, but that should be pretty obvious as to what will or won't work once you get there. If you're running a radius arm configuration up front, then standard routing should work there without issue, though I moved the upline end of my front center hose outside the frame rail for easier access and to move it away from the exhaust.

OP
OP
T

tripleJs15

With the 4-link truss, you'll definitely need to fabricate new hard lines for the rear end, but that should be pretty obvious as to what will or won't work once you get there. If you're running a radius arm configuration up front, then standard routing should work there without issue, though I moved the upline end of my front center hose outside the frame rail for easier access and to move it away from the exhaust.

Super helpful!

OP
OP
T

tripleJs15

Super helpful! By moving the upfront line, you mean you swapped it to the outer side same spot?

ZOSO

As stated I had to make new rear lines across the housing but used the factory location drop with an extended hose. If you try and route the lines like they tell you to its a pain in the butt to get them through the holes in the truss and bent in place and hooked up.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Super helpful! By moving the upfront line, you mean you swapped it to the outer side same spot?

Close...there was already an existing hole about 2" back from the coil bucket towards the bottom of the frame rail on the outside, so I tapped it and repurposed it for the "L" fitting on my extended braided stainless front hose.