• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HEI type Distributor

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been tossing around the idea of swapping out my distributor, for one of the HEI types. I know there is an issue with hood clearance and the hood brace needs to be notched. Can someone post a picture of their hood after it was modified to give me an idea of how it needs to be done.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Not sure on a 302 but it needs the notch cut with a 351w. Also buy a good one like the dui unit. Guys have had problems with the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
B

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have had one since 2005, no notch on the 302. Never a problem.
My Bronco has the 302 but I thought due to the height of the HEI distributors the hood had to be notched at the front cross brace if you were not running a body lift regardless of what V8 engine you had under the hood.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I have had good luck with the cheap ones (302,200, and dodge 360), but am aware of the risk and won't complain if they bite me. I have one on a 302 but because of a body lift, can't comment on notching.
I can however say you'll have to be creative with your air cleaner. I would think a stock air cleaner would work (never tried it myself), but a typical open element one certainly wouldn't.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Dui also recommends using an aftermarket oil pump drive like an arp. The stock shafts can be inconsistent and cause the distributor to not seat the way down. I ran into this on my 72