• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

heater without the fresh air vent. anyone doing that?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
I am thinking about deleting the fresh air vent due to the roll cage. anyone had issues with the heater sucking air from in the cabin without a fresh air vent?

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
You won't be able to defrost or de-fog your windows without outside air. If you are running no top it shouldn't be a problem.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That's how a Vintage Air unit does it. It just recirculates the inside air for both the A/C and heat. It uses the A/C for defrost rather than outside air. Your defrost won't work well without outside air.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
If you drive it in a humid environment you probably want to keep it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Tried that once back when I lived in Kansas. Though it would make the heater better. Bad idea. Removing (or displacing) the humidity is a must. Fresh air is best, A/C to de-humidify the air also works just not as well. Weird having to run the A/C in the middle of winter so you can see out the windows.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
For fresh air you have the driver side vent and most EBs have a few unintended fresh air vents.:) If you want to test it for your self just leave the duct off and tape up the hole. If it doesn't work out for you put the duct back in.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I would also fear it would burn up the fan motor? I covered my duct up once n tried the fan and wasn't blowing hardly at all n the fan motor got real hot!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That is basically what I tried. I removed the duct from the inner fender to the heater (to suck air from the cabin) and covered the inlet under the hood (to seal out the fresh air inlet).

Easy to try, results are predictable. Colder it gets the worse the humidity build up gets. First snow and it is nearly undrivable.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have 2 outside vents already, 1 on each door

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
This is why I have been dithering on the whole aftermarket Vintage Air-type AC install. You loose fresh air for the heater. Also without the fresh air intake you will loose the "pull for heat (fresh air)" function. In moderate weather you pull that center knob out and push the right hand knob all the way in, and you get cool fresh air. Some folks never figure that one out, delete the fresh air box, and as said above, they got no defrost, or cool fresh air.:cry:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have not had the windshield fogging up problem for more than a min. Turn the heat and/or the fan up on defrost and the fog goes away. Doesn't mean it will work everyplace but it does work for me here in TX and in CA.