• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gen 3 Coyote, f150 might make sense vs mustang

Scubadds

I can't get the coyote out of my brain.
I was told that I wanted mustang engine and truck trans.
But I don't want too much hp, the f150 coyote has more low end power,
And seems to be a good bit cheaper. The gen 3 differences seems less between the two engines than gen1/gen2.
What am I missing here?
Thanks

Jmjuhl

Contributor
Loc.
Cypress, Texas
I am wrestling with the same idea. Everything I read/hear is that the F150 engine takes more modification to make it work than the mustang motor. Timing cover, oil filter relo, etc. It got even more complicated with Gen 3 I think because the power module controls the 10r80 tranny in conjunction I believe unless you run manual.

Have seen low mileage wrecked F150s with motor/10r80 combos for less than a mustang crate motor which is appealing, but definitely more risk.

Really thinking about a Gen 3 and TR4050 5 speed combo.

OP
OP
S

Scubadds

I didn't see all the mods needeed on my recent search.
Timing cover etc seem like just enough of a deal breaker for me
I thought I saw a gen 3 f159?with lower miles for a good bit less than a mustang,
But wasn't ready to buy so didn't read all the details

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I think the major issue is that the Power Pack wont run the F150 motor and 10r80. Other than that the mods are not a big deal. I have a gen 2 F150 motor and changed timing cover and some brackets and all is good.