• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coyote Swap - Gen 3 or Gen 4 F-150 Which way do I go?????????????

LHardin

I want to do a complete F-150 Coyote swap in my 1976 Bronco but I can't decide which way to go.

I know that there has been a lot of success with the Gen 3 F-150 Coyote engine and I'm good with that. My question is that since I'm upgrading why not go all the way with a 2015-22 Gen 4 F-150 Coyote with the 10 speed transmission?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Are there any differences in the body or frame modifications needed or will the usual mods work on both (move steering column hole in the footwell over, cut the wheel wells down, and install a new trans mount)?

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I don’t think they have the controller for the 10 speed and the engine. I may be wrong. The controller only does the 6 speed i think. I also think the 2015-2017 is the Gen 2 and the 2018 above is gen 3. I did a 2017 Gen 2 with 6R80. Not sure any support for the 10 speed

hoffenpepper

I'm doing the same thing as you. I have a new Gen 3 Mustang motor, and I have the 10r80 in my cart. @rcmbronc is correct, Ford is still on Gen 3. What I found with the tranny is you can do the 6r80 or 10r80 (or 4r70 if you really want), but the main thing is the only option for ONE control pack to do the 10r80. The Gen 3 / 10r80 control pack is a single unit that will control the engine and the tranny. If you go 6r80 or anything else you need a separate brain for the engine and the transmission. I initially wanted to save a few bucks and get the 6r80, but the additional cost of an 2nd control pack made it more cost effective (and simpler) to go with the 10r80. pbh is the source for all of this info. I also heard the timing, wiring, intake is different on the F150 Coyote and that can create other challenges. Nothing that other guys haven't done and figured out, just seemed to me the Mustang version made more sense.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Note I use just the one Ford control pack for my Gen 2 with 6R80. Gen 3 may be different.

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

Thanks guys. Good information.

Will both engines and transmissions fit the same in an early Bronco or will a gen 3 with a 10R80 need more room or a different trans mount than the 6R80?

flousberg

Hope someone can help me here. Is there just a single case for the 6r80 and 10r80 transmissions? In other words, are there 4x4 models and 2nd models?

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

flousberg,​

I don't know if there is a difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive 6R80.

I understand that you may need to get a tail housing adapter (available from the larger Bronco parts houses) and probably the cross-member kit in order to connect to the transfer case that may have come with your Bronco. I hope that somebody can confirm my thinking or provide a definitive answer to the difference between a 2 and a 4 wheel drive 6R80 Transmission.

flousberg

I'm doing the same thing as you. I have a new Gen 3 Mustang motor, and I have the 10r80 in my cart. @rcmbronc is correct, Ford is still on Gen 3. What I found with the tranny is you can do the 6r80 or 10r80 (or 4r70 if you really want), but the main thing is the only option for ONE control pack to do the 10r80. The Gen 3 / 10r80 control pack is a single unit that will control the engine and the tranny. If you go 6r80 or anything else you need a separate brain for the engine and the transmission. I initially wanted to save a few bucks and get the 6r80, but the additional cost of an 2nd control pack made it more cost effective (and simpler) to go with the 10r80. pbh is the source for all of this info. I also heard the timing, wiring, intake is different on the F150 Coyote and that can create other challenges. Nothing that other guys haven't done and figured out, just seemed to me the Mustang version made more sense

where are you getting engine and tranny?

Jamie Chriss

My opinion the 10R80 has too many gears, the 6R80 is perfect for a Bronco, I drive in sport mode and it is dreamy.

flousberg

Are most people using f150 or mustang engines? Are you buying crates or salvaged?

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I used F150 engine from salvage. Just wanted to save the money and figured if any issues I would rebuild it. Pretty tough motors.

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

I'm on my third F-150 Coyote and they are bullet proof and can easily get 1/2 million miles if maintained (oil changes) and not abused. Sure, you may get little maintenance issues $40 idler pully bearing, $30 oil pressure sensor but that's the only issue with about a million miles of experience (yours may vary). I also service the transmission at least annually (I do it myself).

flousberg

I'm on my third F-150 Coyote and they are bullet proof and can easily get 1/2 million miles if maintained (oil changes) and not abused. Sure, you may get little maintenance issues $40 idler pully bearing, $30 oil pressure sensor but that's the only issue with about a million miles of experience (yours may vary). I also service the transmission at least annually (I do it myself).
Where have you been finding your donors? 6R80 behind it? What controller you using? PBH?

OP
OP
LHardin

LHardin

I may have misled you, I have bought drivable Ford F-150's (one new and two used).

I'm in the process of doing a F-150 swap in my 1976 Bronco. I simply drove to a nearby truck dismantling company (saves on shipping) last week and asked them to get what I needed. The term I used is a "drop in" "LOW MILES" Ford F-150 Coyote with a 6R80 trans, all of the harnesses, the controller and the accelerator pedal. My dismantler said it will take a couple of days to locate it and it should cost between $4,000 and $5,000.

I hope this helps