• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear Checklist: Hatteras Outer Banks

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Bronco checklist making buddies have always been a huge help in the past on trail riding checklists.

I need a good list for beach riding and surf fishing at Hatteras for a week.

I hate to subject her to the elements like that but I have always wanted to wheel it at the beach.

Happy Friday the 13th!

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Tow strap, phone, list of local #'s like towing. Just in case. I pulled a Expedition out of the surf one year because two older gals decided to take a ride on the beach, got stuck when the 4wd wouldn't lock in and the tide was coming in. Water was almost to the doors and there was a sheriff there but he refused to pull them out, something about liability and lack of gonads.

Poles, chairs, snacks & your favorite beverage, what more could you need? Oh and a camera to take a picture of the big one!

67RT

Bronco Guru
Battery powered compressor? Are you diving in at Corolla? I think they have a pumping station but not sure. Just hose off after. Love it there.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Air compressor (air down tires to 10-15 psi on Beach)
Fishing Poles (mullet and squid work well for bait)
Rod holders
Full Cooler
Lounge Chairs
Tow Strap

Used to stay in Buxton (Where the Light House is) years back with my dad every Thanksgiving, Easter and a week during summer. If you are going that far down the Outer Banks, get out on the Point. Great place to be.

Still go every summer to the (farther north on route 12) Corolla area. Great place to take the family.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
A bikini-clad passenger? Just in case you get stuck of course...

That would have been the 2nd answer. Sorry, my wife's been watching a lot of family feud lately.

Don't forget a tire gauge and it's always nice to bring an ez-up, though the sand tends to get in them and make them not work so well.

Bonco4Broncos

Loc.
Rockingham, NC
Pay attention to the tides. They have eaten many nice rigs. Pay attention to how and where others drives and learn from the idiots. Likely you will see a few, maybe not if you are going soon as the cold will keep them away.

Ryan_M

Loc.
Franklin
Still go every summer to the (farther north on route 12) Corolla area. Great place to take the family.

Echo the Corolla/Duck area if you are making it north. Not much space to wheel up there, but very relaxing and great places to eat.

We love going up there in the winter, the place is cleared out.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Hey rguest3 ....," Where in the Hell is Buxton?" A lil inside joke you should be familiar with. I can tell you know your OBX .
Fun time on the beach just be smart and you won't have any problems, they cracked down in certain areas the wheeling so some areas are restricted. Great area you will love it have a safe trip

Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Funny video! That brought back many teenage memories.

I has seen this thousands of times in OBX. The jacked up trucks with the big tires would look at me and wonder WTF! when I went by them casually in a 4x4 Subaru station wagon (with a 17 year old driving) when they are sitting there stuck and can't get out.

I'll bet the trucks in the video did NOT air down either. I'll bet their engines were over heating as well.

10-15 psi should work for just about 4x4 vehicle on the beach.