• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Garage Lift

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
What types of lifts are you guys using? Anyone have low profile scissor lifts? How about two post lifts in a garage with ceilings around 9'

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I have a two post Rotary brand 9K and love it. 9' ceiling is too short though for my particular model. My ceiling is about 11' where the lift is located and it is almost touching.

I think Rotary or other do make some shorter models. Mine has the cables overhead rather than on the floor. I prefer this so it does not interfere with rolling a tranny jack or similar items.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I picked up a used 2-post screw hoist. 9' ceiling. After a bit of thought, a few measurements, lots of head scratching. I turned around and resold the hoist. I didn't feel there was enough height in the garage with only a 9' ceiling. I could get the tires a couple feet of the ground at most. If I did it by the garage door then I would prevent the garage door from opening when I had the hoist up. I have a 3-car tandem garage (2 wide but one side is double deep) and thought about putting the hoise up in the front part. But that is where the tool boxes and work bench are at. The walls were a little narrow and I would have to have narrowed the hoise to fit it in. It would also have killed the ability to walk around with the hoist taking what little gap there was on each side. All that and I still would be crawling around under the Bronco.

I just got a good creeper instead.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 12' ceiling in my shop..and I'm still planning on pouring a pad outside one of the bays and installing a two-post lift just outside the building. I've worked under Drew's and it 'fits'..but I would like to have more headroom over one when its installed anda good 6' clear under the chassis with any vehcile on it.. Soo...I would think that only 9' overhead would really cramp the heck out of a lift..heck..what would you get, maybe 3' clear under the chassis on taller vehicles??

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I have a 12' ceiling in my shop..and I'm still planning on pouring a pad outside one of the bays and installing a two-post lift just outside the building. I've worked under Drew's and it 'fits'..but I would like to have more headroom over one when its installed anda good 6' clear under the chassis with any vehcile on it.. Soo...I would think that only 9' overhead would really cramp the heck out of a lift..heck..what would you get, maybe 3' clear under the chassis on taller vehicles??

Mine will actually go a bit higher, but I need to holesaw two holes in the metal liner and insulation in the ceiling to allow the rams to fully extend. I'm not exactly sure how much further it will go, but my guess is 6" or so. Since I'm short, I have not worried about it (or you taller guys) too much yet! ;D

I had a used one I sold to Ransil before I ever installed it. I would like to get another like it and mount it on a pad on the back of my building so I can pressure wash rigs on the lift.

OP
OP
J

jbbies

Loc.
Durango
I have seen those low profile lifts some look nice for getting a little extra room and I have a mustang project also that it would be nice to get it up off the ground a little...thanks for all the in put.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
. I would like to get another like it and mount it on a pad on the back of my building so I can pressure wash rigs on the lift.

Another reason why I'm going to install mine, when I get it, outside the shop bay.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
My brother has a scissor lift in his shop. Great for changing tires, oil, even transmissions. It lifts the truck about 3' of the ground.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I agree that 9' isn't enough. I have 11' to the bottom of my trusses and my lift fits in between them and almost 1' past them. I have to watch what I lift, my Expedition is pretty tight on it. A singe cab trucks cab will fit in between the trusses and can lift it all most all the way up.