• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Full size Bronco brakes or off the shelf kit?

Lando375

I located an purchased a Dana 44 to replace the Dana 30. I want to do the disk brake conversion but can't really make up my mind on a kit. I've read where guys have used the full size Bronco knuckles out on an early Bronco and made it work. I have a line on a 79 Bronco front and rear axle but I don't know if that's the best route to go.

I don't want to go full width I just want the brakes. What are the pros and cons of the full size Bronco knuckles and brakes over an off the shelf kit? I read about the steering linkage and how that my need to be changed but there were so many different ideas that I'd need to look more into it.

Also, at what point does it become cost prohibited to purchase the axles instead of an comparable kit?

Thanks guys.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I would go with the Ford stuff off the full width axles. Also the rear 3rd member will work for a 31spline upgrade depending on gears. If the ps box is there it's the main part of the 4x4x2 box

68ford

Bronco Guru
Anything new with TTB will not work I have always been told. You need 78-79 bronco or f150, doesn't have to be a bronco. A lot more trucks out there

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both types of brakes are well tested and work very well on Broncos. I personally prefer the Ford setup. It just suits my sense of design. Though you can't ignore the fact that many more people feel exactly the opposite!
And it's not like the millions of GM trucks out there are having trouble either, but I've never liked the feel of the two-pin style slider, and how often they need to be replaced.
With the Ford, simply keep the sliding surfaces lubed up and you're good to go. Or if you're inheriting someone else's lack of maintenance, it's still easy to dress the sliding surfaces with a file, adding some brake grease and you're on your way.

Another difference is the GM calipers have larger pistons. This "can" have an advantage, but that does not mean that the Ford calipers (which came on full size trucks) are a weak sister to the larger ones.
And if size matters, you can swap the Ford truck size calipers our for the larger piston big car calipers (we call 'em "T-bird" calipers for one of their applications).

Pricing comparisons don't really count, as all of your Ford stuff is used and can be had really cheap, or really expensive if you have a hard time finding it and someone knows it.
And I don't think either one has the simplicity advantage.

With the kits you get to keep your steering linkage intact, but have to grind the heck out of the knuckles.
With the Ford parts you actually replace the knuckles and no modifications, but need to buy one extra part and that's a pair of tapered shims to make the smaller Bronco tie-rod ends fit the larger tapered holes of the full-size truck knuckles.

The way I see it, neither one is really that much better than the other when it comes to which one to choose. I just like the Ford stuff a bit more, even though it's getting harder and harder to find the parts for. Unless you buy new of course, which gets more expensive than either of the other options.

Paul

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

Thanks alot guys. I do believe I'll buy and axles and use the knuckles and brakes off the front instead of purchasing an off she shelf kit.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's what I have on my '71. Came from a '76 F150.
The '68 has the kit brakes.

Paul

OP
OP
Lando375

Lando375

That's what I have on my '71. Came from a '76 F150.
The '68 has the kit brakes.

Paul

Is there anything special I need to do or look into when connecting all the steering back up? I've read so many posts about steering upgrades that it's a little overwhelming. I may do a little wheeling but mostly driven on the street with a mild lift.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You will need to buy the tie-rod adapters for your stock eb steering to fit the full size knuckles. They're cheap from the vendors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's no "steering upgrade" that is necessary just for the disc brakes. You may be thinking of all the other reasons for needing an upgraded linkage, OR you're thinking of when using '76/'77 Bronco disc brake knuckles.
And in that case it's not an "upgrade" but a flat out necessity to get a longer tie-rod. It does not need to be of a different design or strength level, but it needs to be longer because your stock '66-'75 tie-rod is too short to reach the wider spaced steering arms on the Bronco disc brake setups.
If choosing between the different full-size truck knuckles however, your stock linkage is fine as long as you get the tapered shim adapters.

A real reason for upgrading is larger tires and more time spent in four-wheel drive. That's what really puts the hurt on stock tie-rods.
And from what you've read, I'm sure it's come up phrased like this: "if you need to replace old worn out steering linkage components, why not upgrade to something stronger for a little more money." or something along those lines.
With so many options, it's kind of a no-brainer to upgrade unless you're sticking with a stock restoration, or stock-ish sized tires, or are just generally easy on your equipment.

The Bronco tie-rods were actually quite large for their day, and for this size of vehicle. However they're still kind of wimpy when it comes to taking more abuse than Ford intended.
But they don't need replacing just for the disc brake setups you're contemplating.

Paul

txtruk15

Contributor
Loc.
Highland Village, TX
just going through this right now, although I have full size axle. Near as I can tell, knuckles are from a 75-79 F150 or 78-79 bronco full size and I'm putting wilwood brake kit on it. The brake lines are the older 3/16" and need to be adapted to the wilwood 1/4" and some necessary re-plumbing having to be done but the knuckles work great for the modern disc conversions...

Attachments

• 20200730_175249.jpg
    20200730_175249.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200730_195004.jpg
    20200730_195004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 20

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those look great!
Is that one for 15" wheels, or one of the larger ones?

Did you put something together for the full-size front parts? Or is this one of the '76/'77 Bronco kits? If so, I did not think they were compatible.
Maybe it was the other way around or something, but I remember some kind of incompatibility issue.
Hopefully I'm remembering it wrong.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
just going through this right now, although I have full size axle. Near as I can tell, knuckles are from a 75-79 F150 or 78-79 bronco full size and I'm putting wilwood brake kit on it. The brake lines are the older 3/16" and need to be adapted to the wilwood 1/4" and some necessary re-plumbing having to be done but the knuckles work great for the modern disc conversions...

Stout.. ":)

stopping is key

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
There's no "steering upgrade" that is necessary just for the disc brakes. You may be thinking of all the other reasons for needing an upgraded linkage, OR you're thinking of when using '76/'77 Bronco disc brake knuckles.
And in that case it's not an "upgrade" but a flat out necessity to get a longer tie-rod. It does not need to be of a different design or strength level, but it needs to be longer because your stock '66-'75 tie-rod is too short to reach the wider spaced steering arms on the Bronco disc brake setups.
If choosing between the different full-size truck knuckles however, your stock linkage is fine as long as you get the tapered shim adapters.

A real reason for upgrading is larger tires and more time spent in four-wheel drive. That's what really puts the hurt on stock tie-rods.
And from what you've read, I'm sure it's come up phrased like this: "if you need to replace old worn out steering linkage components, why not upgrade to something stronger for a little more money." or something along those lines.
With so many options, it's kind of a no-brainer to upgrade unless you're sticking with a stock restoration, or stock-ish sized tires, or are just generally easy on your equipment.

The Bronco tie-rods were actually quite large for their day, and for this size of vehicle. However they're still kind of wimpy when it comes to taking more abuse than Ford intended.
But they don't need replacing just for the disc brake setups you're contemplating.

Most definitely..... ^^^^