• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel filler hose and vent line

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I recently reinstalled my Aux fuel tank. I plugged my vent line because I don't have the rest of the parts for the emissions fuel vent stuff. When I installed it the filler hose was hard as a rock. It had been sitting for about 4-5 years. I have been smelling the fuel in the garage ever since. I just was looking at it this afternoon and now the filler hose is very soft. I can flex it easily into whatever shape I want. The end of the hose appears damp but is not leaking enough to drip. Is this just a case of a deteriorated hose? I was going to order a new one but wanted to be sure that I'm not missing something else. If I need to order anything else, I want to be able to do it all at once.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sounds like it. might want to try tighten the clamps again to see if there is anything there.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
sounds like it. might want to try tighten the clamps again to see if there is anything there.

Thanks Nick, I actually tried that and the clamp started to cut into the hose. I guess its safe to say I need a replacement.

RG801

Loc.
Oklahoma City
Mine was doing the same thing. I changed the problem hose and the smell was gone. You may as well change the vent hose on the filler neck while you're at it. Make sure the fuel level is below the tank opening before you pull the hose off. %)

dustins

fuel filler neck hose options

You could always get some new filler neck hose from filler neck supply co
they have hard and soft wall, soft wall is better to work with and bends about 45 degrees without pinching off, the hard wall stuff will bend in a full circle without pinching; however the hard wall stuff is hard to get over the flaired ends of the neck and tank.
the website is called http://www.fillernecksupply.com
hope this helps
:)

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
interesting link. good to see a another source for filler hose. imop 33 bucks a foot is a tad steep for hose. i'll stick with napa

Broncobowsher

Total hack
interesting link. good to see a another source for filler hose. imop 33 bucks a foot is a tad steep for hose. i'll stick with napa

$33 a foot loks about right. I had a shop selling it by the INCH. It is not cheap stuff. Use the wrong stuff and it won't last. Radiator hose doesn't cut it.

I have thought about the ricer silicon hoses. It should be gasoline resistant, but have not confirmed.

turbotim2

$33/ foot? Thats outrageous! Napa has it much cheaper, and its fuel line not radiator hose.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I replaced the hose with a new one from the graveyard a few months ago. The smell and the soft filler hose are long gone. I'm all for having options but the factory replacement seems like the easiest solution. I think the replacement hose was about $25-30.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
$33/ foot? Thats outrageous! Napa has it much cheaper, and its fuel line not radiator hose.

Napa int that much cheeper! They had a 3 foot piece of 1 3/4" but it was 60 bucks. And it wouldnt bend past about 45* before crushing. I checked every farm fleet and auto store around and they got nothen past 3/4". Maybe the boat stores carry this? I saw on the web that gates makes 1 3/4 fuel hose and they have it prebent at 90 and 45 if needed. Jeffs would be cheeper if i was staying stock, but im going custome location and need some options.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
went thru replacing mine awhile back and overall best solution was buying the exact replacement from an EB vendor. trying to bend and fit one that goes on another vehicle is often a pita and doesn't work. don't know about NAPA stuff.

dustins

I do alot of custom tanks and i stopped using napa stuff a long time ago, not only cause they dont have nearly the different sizes as the filler neck place does, but napa has crappy hose that crushes when bent. i wanted to make sure everyone was getting good info here is some stuff i have laying around.
here is a photo i hope it comes up

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
WOW some first hand info. Thats the exact 3 foot piece i held at napa and it bent just like that and it was 60 bucks. So is the hose on the top the soft wall or the hard wall?

You could always get some new filler neck hose from filler neck supply co
they have hard and soft wall, soft wall is better to work with and bends about 45 degrees without pinching off, the hard wall stuff will bend in a full circle without pinching; however the hard wall stuff is hard to get over the flaired ends of the neck and tank.
the website is called http://www.fillernecksupply.com
hope this helps

Attachments

• fuel hose.jpg
    fuel hose.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 13