• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fox Body 5.0 Water pump options?

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
For all you old school Fox Body Mustang 5.0 swap people, I have a question.
My current Bronco has the Fuel Injected 5.0 from I think a 1990 Mustang. I'm doing some preventative replacement of some parts on the old engine. The water pump has the inlet on the passenger side and when I talked to the parts people they all tell me the Fox Body 5.0 should have a drivers side inlet water pump. What water pump should I be using? I have the serpentine belt set up and mechanical fan.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
For all you old school Fox Body Mustang 5.0 swap people, I have a question.
My current Bronco has the Fuel Injected 5.0 from I think a 1990 Mustang. I'm doing some preventative replacement of some parts on the old engine. The water pump has the inlet on the passenger side and when I talked to the parts people they all tell me the Fox Body 5.0 should have a drivers side inlet water pump. What water pump should I be using? I have the serpentine belt set up and mechanical fan.
Post a picture of your belt routing (or park a picture in your Garage). There are no serpentine passenger inlet 5.0 water pumps.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe yours was changed out for a Bronco pump and front cover? Did you do the original engine swap, or was it done before you got the Bronco?

And the pump now on the engine, is it "angular" or does it have a fairly concentric oval-ish shape to it?
Just wondering because there were some retrofit pumps offered by some companies including Ford Motorsport/Racing and maybe that's one of the ones used.

If you can take a pic of what you have now, maybe one of the members more familiar with the original pump looks can chime in.

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
James cut right to the meat of the thing. Are you running the Mustang (or other) serpentine belt drive system, or is it running V-belts?

paul

OP
OP
KJHill

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
The engine was in the Bronco when I purchased it. The serp set up looks custom rather than stock Mustang. It runs great! Had to replace the alt so while I was in there thought about replacing the water pump. The picture isn't great but shows the inlet on the Pass side

Attachments

• Bronco water pump 5-13-2022.jpg
    Bronco water pump 5-13-2022.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 24

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely aftermarket. And it's not really even a serpentine setup. Although people call anything with a wide flat ribbed belt a "serpentine" it's really not unless it's in fact, well, serpentine!
This is just a standard rotation setup with flat belts instead of V-belts.

I don't know if anything else needed to be done to make the water pump correct for that timing cover, or if it even matters as long as it bolts up. Others will know the particulars, but it's definitely not stock.

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and even though this is probably not a critical thing, I always like to mention that it's probably better to mount the ground cable to the engine block, and even better if closer to the starter, than it is to mount it to a cylinder head.
Yes, it's all bolted together and probably grounded more than well enough to get the job done. Just seems to me that over time it would deteriorate quicker with all that stuff in-between the ground cable and the starter motor (the biggest power user). But maybe it's more important to have it closer to the alternator? I doubt it, or Ford would likely have done it that way to get a shorter length cable and save money anyway.

More electrically inclined minds can chime in with their recommendations. I know millions of GM vehicles had the ground to the alternator bracket, so it can't be all that bad.

Paul

OP
OP
KJHill

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks DirtDonk! You are correct it isn't really a serpentine setup since it uses 2 flat belts, one for the alt and the other for the power steering pump. So do you think an older Ford 5.0 water pump with clockwise rotation would work? It seems like all the 88-92 Mustang 5.0's have reverse rotation water pumps...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's something I'm just not sure of. Too many water pump combinations I never paid attention to over the years.
I saw true serpentine setups on Mustangs starting in '79 (the first one I'd ever played with) on the V6 at least. Not sure when they changed on the 302/5.0 though.
But for Ford at least, any serpentine equipped 302 used a reverse rotation pump. Not necessarily "reverse flow" but reverse rotation for sure. So it's a good bet that all the '88 to '92 'Stangs had them as well.
But you can have a reverse or standard rotation pump and have the inlet on either side. At the same time Broncos used a passenger side inlet, most other Fords had driver's side inlets even with V-belts.
Just by way of more useless information. I still can't answer about what you have and what to use to replace it.

When you get a chance, maybe take a more encompassing picture of the pump itself. I know it's hidden in there pretty good on Bronco, but maybe a certain angle will show more of the pump body. Short of a part number found cast into the housing, it might be the only way for someone to tell you what to use.

Paul

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
OP
OP
KJHill

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Ok, I'll try to get a closer picture of the water pump

Attachments

• 20220516_175410.jpg
    20220516_175410.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
KJHill

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
It appears to be a kit that bolts up to the standard rotation water pumps. Pretty sure you can just order a new water pump for your year Bronco. Your belts are setup for clockwise rotation, which is the "standard rotation" pump used on broncos and mustangs before the "5.0" motors.

See cvfracing

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford-289-302-351w-serpentine-conversion-kit-alternator-power-steering/

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Jdgephar,
That does look like my front dress.