• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Godzilla Crate Engine

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This would make it look nice, but the edges need to be radiused, but the concept is nice.

Nobody has a 302 they can actually measure?

Attachments

• godzilla-valve-cover_8387.jpeg
    godzilla-valve-cover_8387.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 17

wsager

This would make it look nice, but the edges need to be radiused, but the concept is nice.

I have a 73, engine out. Just overall measurements? It has a stock water pump on it right now and aftermarket intake without the carb mounted.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
5.0 HO, approx straight edge/ tape measure; 21" from crank center to top of throttle body (heater-coolant line), Fox pan 8" sump to crank.
Can you do the oil pan? So the measurement matches the this?

Attachments

• 18732_3_.png
    18732_3_.png
    337 KB · Views: 27

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So it looks like the stock dampener is 6". So Center of the pulley to the top of the holley intake would be 19" (22"-3"). So potentially shorter then a 5.0 setup?

wsager

Stock pan 9” sump to crank. 14.5” from crank to straight edge off of 1980 Weiand dual plane intake (no carb).

Quick & Dirty

Stock 302 EB pan. 302 has no block skirt, so pan rail = crank centerline. Edit: added dims for diff clearance.
lxtIbwQ.jpg

Here is Superduty zilla with some measurements from crank rather than skirt.
BkI39Kf.jpg

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock 302 EB pan. 302 has no block skirt, so pan rail = crank centerline.

Here is Superduty zilla with some measurements from crank rather than skirt.
BkI39Kf.jpg
So 19.2" from the center of the crank to the very top of the new holley intake. So shorter then a foxbody intake 5.0. Very interesting. I like the width of the godzilla lot. Plus less plastic looking.

hossbronco

Contributor
The KMF products are very nice. I just wish they made Headers and Motor Mounts for the Godzilla / Early Bronco Swap.

Their Oil Pan looks great too, but it bolts to the Indy Power Oil Pan Rail. So additional Indy Power parts are needed for that pan to work.
That’s why I went with the dry sump. The cost of the IPP oiling system and then the KMF pan wasn’t much cheaper, and I liked having all the off-roading benefits of a dry sump. Of course putting that money into a full width axle probably would have been the best move, but I wasn’t quite ready for that yet.

I doubt KMF will be making any more Godzilla parts soon. I spoke with them a few months ago and they told me they had only sold 4 of those pans. I guess not enough people are Godzilla swapping their EBs. I’ve been trying to get them to make headers, and initially they were on board, but not anymore.

hossbronco

Contributor

That does look nice, but it barely clears the brake booster/master cylinder, I think. I like these better, but they put the -12 AN connections on the front and back and the valve covers, which makes access difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpeg
    IMG_3374.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3375.jpeg
    IMG_3375.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3377.jpeg
    IMG_3377.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That does look nice, but it barely clears the brake booster/master cylinder, I think. I like these better, but they put the -12 AN connections on the front and back and the valve covers, which makes access difficult.
Those look great! Who makes those?

hossbronco

Contributor
Those are made by Swiftek Engineering, out of Australia. You can customize the wording.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those are made by Swiftek Engineering, out of Australia. You can customize the wording.
Alright, that sounds expensive! Although it seems all the Coil Covers for this motor are expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those don't do it for me. They look out of place.

I think if the godzilla will fit better then the coyote with the new intakes and pans, I don't see a reason to use the wide coyote.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you mate the Godzilla with a C4 tranny?
Google says this

A short list of a few popular transmissions that should bolt straight to the Godzilla:
  • Ford 10R140 - 10-speed, 1400 Nm transmission used in Super Duty trucks and Chassis Cabs. Essentially a supersized 10R80. Most likely 30.3" long.
  • Ford 10R80 - 10-speed, 800 Nm transmission used in F150s and similar vehicles. V8 versions of this transmission should bolt to the 7.3. Note Ecoboost versions will probably not bolt to the 7.3. This transmission is commonly used behind the 3.5 Ecoboost, which is rated for 500 ft-lbs of torque. So it should withstand the 7.3L in all but severe duty applications. 27.8" long. (If I had to choose a transmission, this would absolutely be my choice.) Same as GM 10L80 transmission (different bellhousing).
  • Ford 6R140 - Older 6-speed transmission used in Super Duty trucks and chassis cabs. 6-speed, 1400 Nm. 30.3" long. Same size as 10R140.
  • Ford 6R80 - Older 6-speed transmsission used in F150s and similar vehicles. 6-speed, 800 Nm. Almost same size as 10R80. 26.6" long.
  • Tremec T45 - 5-speed manual, 375 ft-lbs capacity. Probably undersized, but may possibly work.
  • Tremec T56 - 6-speed manual, 350-400 ft-lbs capacity. Probably undersized, but may possibly work.
  • Tremec TR3650 - 5-speed manual, 360 ft-lbs capacity.
  • Tremec TR-6060 - 6-speed manual, 600 ft-lbs of torque. Possible good match for stock 7.3L?
  • Getrag MT-82 - 6-speed manual, 800 ft-lbs torque capacity. Good option for modded 7.3L?
  • Tremec TR-3160 6-speed manual, 405 ft-lbs torque capacity.
  • Tremec TR-9070 7-speed manual, 664 ft-lbs of torque. Seems like a potentially awesome option given the wide span of gears and high torque rating.
  • ZF S6-650 - 6 speed manual used in older Ford Truck applications. Features a 5.79:1 1st gear ratio and a 0.72:1 OD ratio. A very interesting option for sure. Rated to 530 ft-lbs. The diesel version is rated to 560 but I have no information if that would bolt up as well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
FYI, quick search of the Tremec TR-9070 shows it is an automatic. Computer controlled dual wet clutch apply.
The 7.3 uses a traditional mod motor bellhousing. Anything that will bolt or adapt to any of the mod motors will work. 4.6, 5.4, 6.8 (V10), 5.0, etc. Now if the transmission will accept a transfer case? Will it physically fit? Some of those choices are complete monsters.

WPS 73 Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
The Woodlands, Tx
On my LS swap in my corvette, I mounted the "coil packs" remotely in the engine bay so that I could put traditional valve covers on the motor. Can that be done with the Godzilla engine?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On my LS swap in my corvette, I mounted the "coil packs" remotely in the engine bay so that I could put traditional valve covers on the motor. Can that be done with the Godzilla engine?
Looks like that would be easy, other then long spark plug wires. The coils look to be LS style, with short jumper spark plug wires.

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    12 KB · Views: 22