• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford crate electric motor

BradGP

Check out ElectricGT.com

They have a conversion kit already for an electric motor. Looks kinda like a V8 engine with everything included. very cool set-up, very pricey too.

That looks like an awesome kit. Gonna show that to a buddy for his incoming bronco project. We finished installing the bumper and winch from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler and sold it so he got some budget for the Bronco.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The ElectricGT is going in a gateway bronco, EV1 I believe. It belongs to a customer of mine, there are a few in line behind him.

Last I talked they had a test drive scheduled late July, and 6-8 weeks later (end of SEPT?) he may take ownership? I do believe I will get a ride in it.

Demand for the EV in a Bronco is pretty strong I believe. My customer decided it would fit well with his need to check on his jobs around town, the range matched well, he is pretty excited about it.

Demand for anything EV is very strong. Bigger faster stronger.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Should of used the proper term “camlock” as used for audio and lighting in the entertainment industry. The ones I have used are typically 208 3 phase at 200 amps. DC ratings would be different. I know there are bigger, but not familiar with what's available up higher. They are twist lock but in something with constant movement and vibration you would need a positive lock mechanism. And related to some things you mentioned corrosion could be an issue.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, as I wondered if huck was, in suggesting to drive the Bronco to Super Cel W. I don't know what range it has, but even if it was 100 miles that would be a lot of charging stops to BV CO. (At least 10)

As to Top Gear those guys were awesome. The American version or the new one just weren't the same.

Scott

PS. Just saw on the noon news they Chevy recalled the Bolt and stopped sales due to battery fires.

Not a chance. You are talking about 400 volts while being loaded with a few hundred amps. .

If it were easy it would have been done by now. For inspiration

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should of used the proper term “camlock” as used for audio and lighting in the entertainment industry. The ones I have used are typically 208 3 phase at 200 amps. DC ratings would be different. I know there are bigger, but not familiar with what's available up higher. They are twist lock but in something with constant movement and vibration you would need a positive lock mechanism. And related to some things you mentioned corrosion could be an issue.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, as I wondered if huck was, in suggesting to drive the Bronco to Super Cel W. I don't know what range it has, but even if it was 100 miles that would be a lot of charging stops to BV CO. (At least 10)

As to Top Gear those guys were awesome. The American version or the new one just weren't the same.

Scott

PS. Just saw on the noon news they Chevy recalled the Bolt and stopped sales due to battery fires.

I still don't think battery technology is there yet, and I will wait till for the next innovation. The new aluminum batteries sound amazing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
everyone driving over your extension cords is going to cause problems. can you imagine 20 Broncos on the Rubicon with miles of extension cords. may have to tow a Humvee military generator pack with you.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
In case you missed it, there were 2 EV Broncos at SEMA this year. Under the hood was completely packed with battery and more in the back where the stock fuel tank was at (but in a much larger package). Driving a 250kw electric motor, Torque Trends planetary reduction box, Atlas divorced transfer case, 9" axles front and rear. One was lifted, light modify appearing and parked next to an cold C10 with the storage under the hood. My new house sales agent's son was working that booth. The other was a very clean stock looking '66

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ev will be the entire market in I would guess 15 years, maybe even shorter. I personally think it will make classics worth even more.
I doubt it will increase the value once the gas price reaches 15 dollars a gallon to force people into electrics. the government and we the people are not playing on a level playing field.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Battery tech still has some ways to go, but lots of advances have been made in that field lately. Using aluminum, salt water, graphene etc...

They will just make biofuel. No reason they can't make gas from bio sources. But the EV adoption is happening faster then anyone would have guessed. It might make gas super cheap? I guess time will tell, if I was a saudi country I would be nervous or they should be trying to get into the same tech fields.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Take longer than 15 years to get a grid that could be even close to handling the increased demand.

Many great applications for EV, just at this time not across the board. Us cold weather areas creative another hurdle.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Take longer than 15 years to get a grid that could be even close to handling the increased demand.

There it is. Our current infrastructure (high power and long range distribution) is crumbling. It's hard and expensive to fix. Expand? Won't happen over NIMBYs and lawsuits and too many agencies to appease.
Even renewable pushes (large and small) won't solve the problem because they'll need to be in places where no one lives, but we don't have the transmission lines to get the power to the cities with increased demand. New plants can't be built close enough because no one wants to deal with them (and take nearly a generation to come online). Even a small nuke that could load a city will never happen.
Even if we can produce it; that electrical demand won't be able to efficiently reach consumers unless there is a seismic shift in public funding and feelings.