• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Matting & carpet Vs. just liner, like Rhino, Linex...etc.

prtylikarockstr

my eb and tj are rhino lined pretty nice wouldnt even consider carpet unless the top would never come off but i would recomend the UV top coat if the top will be off its 100 bucks more but depends on where you live..

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Have you thought about vinyl? I bought a nice set from Auto Custom Carpets. It's really thick and fits prefectly. Not like the stuff from the Bronco houses. I put in lots of insulation and also behind the side panels, in the top and doors. Made a huge difference. The A/C and tunes work better too. Mine is not used in the water much and I don't plan to pull the top off otherwise I would have considered some kind of spray on. I did however opt for insulation that isn't glued down because things do happen, and if I do end up swimming, I want to be able to pull it all out to dry.

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
what I have been thinking of doing in mine is bedlinering the inside, then just putting some nice carpet floormats in. would look nice and be really easy to take out and wash.

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Mine is getting bedliner sprayed in before paint. I plan on having carpet made for the front two foot areas and the bed. These 3 pieces will snap in so if they were to get wet, I can unsnap and hang out to dry.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Mine is getting bedliner sprayed in before paint. I plan on having carpet made for the front two foot areas and the bed. These 3 pieces will snap in so if they were to get wet, I can unsnap and hang out to dry.

now that's a good idea (IMO). modular carpet! I already have the carpet, but I could cut it up, add some kindof trim to keep it from fraying, adhesive sound deadener to the underside, and add snaps...or something. velcro? magnets? I haven't thought it through, but I'm totally gonna do that.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
After 16 years I finally decided to rip out the astro turf the po put in. I found the original floor matt underneath in beautiful condition, well except for all the silicone that held the turf in place anyway but that peels off. It even had the original ridged black rubber liner under it. And I found a Canadian penny, 1975 model. And 10 pounds of sand.

Attachments

• Bronco 108 small.jpg
    Bronco 108 small.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 94

71 LUBER

Loc.
SW. Pennsylvania
Viper, go with snaps. Heavy ones like used on boat covers, tough and stainless steel. It's not really an original idea on my part, Jeeps have been doing it for years. The only difference is Jeep carpet covers the entire floor, but it's in modular pieces that snap together so it's easily removable and the seats don't have to be removed. I'm scaling down a bit to just be on the main floor boards, but I might add an additional piece over the trans tunnel.

Go look at a Wrangler at your local dealer for ideas :)

ArmyTiger6

Loc.
Ft. Hood, TX
I heard of guys using tar roof shingles on their floors as sound deadener. supposedly, it works really well. I've thought about using that, instead of a porous type of mat that would retain moisture

"Tar roof shingles"! Now that puts the "class" in "Classic Broncos"

Bubbason

Loc.
Rock Hill, SC
I heard of guys using tar roof shingles on their floors as sound deadener. supposedly, it works really well. I've thought about using that, instead of a porous type of mat that would retain moisture
I dont know about shingles but Grace self adhering Ice and Water Shield Roofing membrane is the same as Dynamat Xtreme, a 40 mil elastomeric butyl membrane w/ 4 mil aluminum foil

I put grey carpet & a 60 mil membrane in mine where it used to have black paint.
It is alot cooler but no quieter because 90% of my noise comes from the tailgate anyway.
You can find 60 mil at any insulation contractor supply commonly known as Alumaguard or Pittwrap.

Edit: mine is top/doors always off and street only

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Still working on noise and heat issues in the 74. Spray in liner. 2 layers of aluminized closed cell insulation, carpet pad and carpet. Seems to have helped some. Without doing the hardtop, tail gate and rear inner quarters I think this is about as good as it will get. in the 78 it has acousti-mat under the hood and in the doors. sprayin liner, 2 layers of aluminized insulation. carpet pad and and carpet. Dynamat on the inner door skins. Tailgate and rear inner quarters will get dynamat and acousti-mat once I get the dash finished. That should add about 25lbs of deadening mass and insulation.

matt w

Bronco Guru
In my experience, carpet has served me well in the Deserts and mountains of California. BUT that is because it is basically dry 95% of the time. The times my carpet has gotten wet I was able to dry it out in a day or so.

I have lived in S.Carolina where it rained quite often. I would never have run carpet in an open-topped rig in that part of the country AND the NASTY clay-mud they have there is also an added "bonus" to have to deal with%).

Here in the DRY section of the country I run carpet then just blow the dust out after a trail run and bingo I have a plush "city car" that insulates and is quieter on the road when the top goes back on for the 5 months it needs to be on!:D

In CA I would throw some insulation down and carpet...not sure what the weather is like on your end of the swamp!? heh-heh