• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First Ford/My intro/My build thread- current: Test drive/MPG figured/pictures

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Well, cage is in and done. Few things we're gonna adjust. I like how it turned out though. =) More pics of it once we finalize the things I've decided to change.
Andrew

IMG_1669.JPG

Hank_

Bronco Guru
The bronco looks great. Nice job on the cage and the seats. I hope you are able to get it out on some trails soon.

Henry

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Alright, I've got quite a bit done since the last update... So you know the cage is done:

38546274023_large.jpg

I've got the soft top on, and have gone back and forth from windows to safari a couple times, which is odd because I've really not driven it much as it's been in the back yard torn down getting more things done to it. These pictures also show the new tires.

38546274029_large.jpg

38546274024_large.jpg

I got the passenger side axle changed since it was a bit bent (wobbled) and then found the passenger side does too... So that's on order. While I was waiting for that to come in though, I tossed a painless kit in. The wires were a super mess (as I would assume most in these bad boys are)

38546274027_large.jpg

But I think it came out good. Not sure if it has been done, but I feel like I got creative with the fuse box location (mainly because I can't get into the glovebox from the cage).

38546274031_large.jpg

I did buy a conduit kit, but I have not installed it yet.

38546274026_large.jpg

38546274025_large.jpg

I got rid of the aftermarket gauge set that hung below the dash, and all my factory gauges are up and running. I'll probably toss those in the "free" section since they still work ;)

I've also been working on the belt throwing issue, well I thought it was solved then I tossed them again under just normal driving. So I'm going to replace the water pump (has some play) and the water pump pulley, there was also play in the balancer and upon taking all that apart, I found it to be a 4 bolt balancer and that the motor is from a '72 Torino. So got a 3/4 bolt balancer coming and also a new crank pulley since the PO has drilled his own 4 bolts AND there are 2 cracks in it. Not good. haha

38546274030_large.jpg

I think that brings us about to date! :D

Andrew

Oh! I got the power steering box sealed up somewhere during all that too. :p That was actually pretty easy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Thanks stupidboy! I'll try. :D

Oh! I also had to change the heater core since it leaked. While I was in there I cleaned everything up, tossed in a seal kit, and did the Chevy motor upgrade. I don't know how well/poorly it blew before since the motor just kinda screamed and barely turned... but it definitely is loud and pushes lots of air now!!

38546274032_large.jpg

38546274033_large.jpg

Andrew

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Thats a lot of progress man!! Really nice location of the fusebox. You mentioned that you cant get to the govebox. A good solution is the tuffy glovebox. The door is smaller allowing you to open it with rollbar. The secure box is a real plus too;D Keep it up man!! Looking forward to updates....

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about ordering a plastic box to replace the cardboard one (since I have not put it back in since doing the heater box)... So I'll look at the tuffy too!
Andrew

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

I ended up doing the tuffy box (sorry no pic) and I was happy that I could take it apart in order to install it with the cage mounted in the EB! I've also converted the fan over to a clutched fan. During this, I found the radiator doesn't sit in the mounts properly.. so when I get around to swapping out the radiator and installing the fan shroud I'll have to fix whatever is wrong with the lower mounts to get it to sit in there properly.
Andrew

38546274034_large.jpg

38546274035_large.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Houston we have a problem! You have a reverse rotation fan on a standard rotation drive.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Thanks aaron! Will do. =)

Viperwolf- Thanks for the note, but how are you deciding that? I just went out in the cold and verified it was spinning the right direction (it is). Then grabbed the fan box, and it is noted as a clockwise fan. It is also the same fan mentioned by others that have done this conversion. %)
Andrew

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You know what, it is the correct rotation but it's mounted backwards on the clutch. I knew something looked wrong.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

yah, looked a bit off to me as well... I figured I'd check it out the other way when I fix the radiator mounts, change out the radiator, and install the fan shroud. Thanks for confirming it!
Andrew

edit: I guess I should have just searched for pics when I did it lol http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=718484&postcount=1 Notch toward radiator not motor. Either way it pulls air, but notch toward front looks like it has more of a scoop. Not that it's been running warm or anything. :p Thanks again for confirmation on my thought.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Progres!!

Well, I found what was "wrong" with the way the radiator was sitting... When this thing has been crashed at some point they never did proper repairs like you can see on this front corner.

IMG_2662.JPG

The bottom radiator hangers were crap welded in place and were crooked, then I found the body mount/core supports were completely busted. I unbolted this one and it fell out... You can see how far it had been bent as well.

IMG_2666.JPG

So I cut the core support, the mounts, and the passenger fender apron out.

IMG_2672.JPG

I guess it is important at this point to note... I am not a welder. I have never touched one in fact (well, to use myself) But I got one, and tried using it... It was that gassless self shielding thing... I could do some welding alright (messing around on old parts) but others it would jut burn through. I borrowed a better mig welder, and he set it up for me so I went to work. I did ok, better in fact than the work that was on the EB.

Here is the core support to driver's apron, and core support to drivers body mount.

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

Not related (or mine).. but about this time in the project I drove by this.

broncoontrailer.jpg

...back to my rig ;D

Then I tossed a coat of primer on it.. (and another pic of my welding on passenger mounts/battery tray)

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

Then taped off the engine and bumper and sprayed some satin black on. I tried to get everywhere I could in the engine (front of passenger wheel well and front/top of driver's) I think it made it a bit nicer in there =)

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2786_001.JPG

IMG_2789_001.JPG

So on the way back together... this plug was nice enough to rust in my radiator :( I tried to use an extractor to get it out, but didn't know the hole was so shallow and managed to crack the thin membrane that keeps the fluids from mixing... so had to pick up a new radiator. %)

IMG_2790_001.JPG

Unmasked and going back together

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2798_001.JPG

I moved the top radiator brackets to the front side of the core to get a little more fan/radiator clearance *and uh... flipped the fan over ;) *

IMG_2799.JPG

While the front clip was off, I figured I would try to rattle can it a bit closer than it was (dull primer) I thought I had found it.. but I didn't.. opps!

IMG_2610.JPG

So I took it down with the hood to have a quickie paint match thrown on it... While that was down, I figured I'd work on looming up that new painless wiring kit since everything is working just fine and try to clean up the engine bay a bit more. I'm not great at making things pretty- but it's alright :p (can see more of my NEWB welding work on those top radiator brackets...)

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

Driven it a few times now ... The front clip isn't an exact match (the hood is a bit darker than the rest %) ) but these pictures make it look worse than it is.... I don't want to have a nice whole paint job done because I fear I won't want to take it off road then, yah I'm dumb like that.

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

Guess that brings us to the end of this stage of the project! Nice to have it back on the road again, since we're in the 90s already....

Thanks as always for checking it out!
Andrew

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Andrew,

Nice work on replacing that sheetmetal up front. Don't know about your experience with that but that was no easy job to come out right! Great job and keep up the good work.

Rob

bosshoff

Contributor
I'm going to be picky, but what is up with the front edge of the rear fender opening/flare? It makes it look like the rear axel is stuffed forward. Get out your jigsaw and fix that.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

broncoitis- I can assume it's not something "super simple" and I've never done it before... but I'm pretty good at picking stuff up and figuring it out. I tried to get my brother to stop by and check my measurements and such but he just glanced at it and said "looks good". So I did it all from cutting it out to putting it back together on my own. I'm pretty dang proud, the wife is too LOL

bosshoff, no idea man. That's how it was. What do you mean "fix it" just cut it further forward? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to replace that whole fender since it wouldn't line up with the back anymore?

Andrew

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Nice work.

Which painless harness did you use? I am about to start mine and might have some questions.

OP
OP
adnedarn

adnedarn

Thanks, I used the 14 circuit... got it for $575 shipped off craigslist from Phoenix they sell it at summit for $730 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-10108 I would be happy to help you in any way I can, there were a few things that were a bit confusing and I had to contact painless about. Like two wires going to the brake valve or one... and also wiring up the voltage regulator... The first way I had it caused it to kill the battery in no time. They said all my questions were common due to the way their manual was written. OH! and my windshield wiper and turn signal switch... my colors didn't match up on either of those. :p

Andrew