• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer swap battery options

papy

Contributor
wondering what battery size to use for my explorer swap. stick with the OE 96 explorer or bigger/smaller? also will the stock bronco battery tray fit with whatever you recommend for battery size.

thanks

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
thanks! i wasn't sure if i had to stick with explorer specific
cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The battery is just storage. They're all the same voltage (at least the ones you'll be choosing from are), some just have higher capacity in the starting amps, and reserve departments than others.
The alternator on the Explorer is quite capable of working with any battery. Most limitations are based on the size available in the chassis, or in the old days, cost.

At least I assume it was cost. When you have a full size truck with a battery area half again larger than the battery that it originally came with, it certainly was not size that was the limiting factor.
And why most of us have long since put much larger, much more powerful and much longer warranty batteries in our trucks and Broncos.
So I say you're only limited by the physical size of the area you can mount the battery, and not by the original donor vehicle of the engine.

As said, use the largest you want and can fit. And accompany that by larger gauge cables to suit it's new use. If you're going off-road adventurin' with it, up-size to something like 2ga instead of 6ga that originally came with the Bronco and the Explorer.
And keep a body ground, like Ford did on both vehicles as well.

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Group 65 (BXT-65-850)

(click this text)

oddly enough i have a 65 battery that came in my 96 donor explorer. also snatched up a battery tray from an 89 f150 that is super HD and fits the 65 battery and the plastic hold down holds it in place

cheers guys

Last edited:
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
So I thought I had a battery tray but it seem like it might have gone in my junk pile when spring cleaning this year. Will that 65 battery fit in a stock bronco tray?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Group 65 just barely fits the stock EB battery tray. The lower edges (longer sides) of the tray needs to be cut or straightened out, that's what I see.

Attachments

• 20201205_155126.jpg
    20201205_155126.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 15

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Odyssey 34/78 - PC1500. Plenty of power and storage and fits great.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you've installed a permanent magnet mini starter, they use a lot less amperage, so you can use a smaller battery.
I use a group 75 with side posts. It's a little shorter than a 24, but still has 700 cold cranking amps.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
great! thanks for the info.
cheers