• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer Power steering pump- What fitting for may box. pressure side hose.

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Does any one know the size of fitting that will fit in this box, and go with the parts list below? It is the pressure side going into the box. The rest of the parts worked. I need to get this going so that i can try my EFI out. Thanks

Attachments

• Front dress set up 009 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Front dress set up 009 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Front dress set up 008 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Front dress set up 008 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Front dress set up 010 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    Front dress set up 010 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OP
OP
calger

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
Found the post of the part's list. If this helps. Is any one running this box in the pic's up top?

Here is the complete shoppiing list for making your very own power steering line for an Explorer PS pump

(Part number/Description/Price/Suggested source)
EAR-991950ER Fitting, Power Steering Adapter, -6 AN Male to 11/16-18 in. Inverted Flare 5.95 Summit

RUS-620411 Fitting, Hose End, Power Steering 45 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Steel, Nickel Plated 14.95 Summit

RUS-620421 Fitting, Hose End, Power Steering, 90 Degree, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN, Steel, Nickel Plated 12.95 Summit

RUS-632600 Hose, Powerflex, Braided Stainless Steel, -6 AN, 3 ft. Length 18.88 Summit

RUS-648060 Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male 6.39 Summit

3 ft of hose works perfectly.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I always thought it was a no-no to use aluminum fittings on the pressure side.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I jsut took the pump and old lines down to the hydraulic shop and they made new lines from the old fittings.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I took the factory Exploder pressure hose, cut off the flare on the end, removed the metric fitting, and put on the standard fitting, and reflared it. It has never leaked... (Crossing fingers now)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take a stock hard line and add one of these AEROQUIP FBM 2872 AN–6 WELD / BRAZE ADAPTERS http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products/accessories.html

I can't find the link, but Todd Z. found a place in California that offers an adaptor to convert the fitting to standard -6. I am going to need the same part soon when I do my Explorer accessory drive swap.

Those pictures, is that for the steering box or the pump? All I see is black with some numbers on it. doesn't mean a thing to me.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Take a stock hard line and add one of these AEROQUIP FBM 2872 AN–6 WELD / BRAZE ADAPTERS http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products/accessories.html

I can't find the link, but Todd Z. found a place in California that offers an adaptor to convert the fitting to standard -6. I am going to need the same part soon when I do my Explorer accessory drive swap.

Those pictures, is that for the steering box or the pump? All I see is black with some numbers on it. doesn't mean a thing to me.

X2 on Tim's request. Show us some overall shots of the box and I'll bet we can help you i.d. the adapters you need.

The one place I know that has the correct -6 adapter for the Explorer pump is Tommy Lee at Lee Power Steering (www.leepowersteering.com). There have been threads here where people claim it's a 16mm fitting but I tried one of those in one of my spare pumps in the garage and it sure didn't fit mine.

Todd Z.

Coasty

Loc.
sandwich
I used this fitting: RUS-648060 Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male 6.39 Summit but I can't get it to stop leaking where it screws into the pump. Will teflon do anything? Should I try getting a larger o-ring or something? this has me stumped and its a good heavy flow of fluid, I have to do something about it, its making a mess.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I used this fitting: RUS-648060 Fitting, Straight, AN Flare to Metric, Aluminum, -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male 6.39 Summit but I can't get it to stop leaking where it screws into the pump. Will teflon do anything? Should I try getting a larger o-ring or something? this has me stumped and its a good heavy flow of fluid, I have to do something about it, its making a mess.

As mentioned, the metric adaptor isn't right. Lee power steering has the correct one. No, teflon tape is not the correct fix. Use the above info, get the right adaptor.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

>>>>>> first thing ,as viperwolf said above don't use aluminum fittings on the high pressure side of the steering system & also no regular AN hose(<<< I'm sure you probably already knew that though)..... I had minor seepage when first installed through the threads,but sealed it for awhile with the right stuff sealant.....I've since did some more research & think I found the problem.... www.hydratechbraking.com/products/accessories.html .... the fitting I have now is like pic 1 below & I believe the fitting should look like pic 2 instead according to the people at hydratech.....both these fittings are 16mmx1.5 threads,but obviously seal different.....down the page in the link they show part#FBM2608 that looks like my first pic & it doesn't say it's for a late model ford pump.....further down the page shows hydratechs own fitting like pic 2 part#9405 & it says fits most 1993 & newer ford PS pump female metric ports

Attachments

• 2608.jpg
    2608.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 9405.jpg
    9405.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 000_0050.JPG
    000_0050.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 113

Coasty

Loc.
sandwich
Yeah, that 2nd one looks much more like the stock hose that come out of there. I gave Tom Lee a call, he didn't seem to know what I was talking about... didn't remember what fitting went into the explorer pump, but he said he'd take a look around the shop and give me a call back.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, that 2nd one looks much more like the stock hose that come out of there. I gave Tom Lee a call, he didn't seem to know what I was talking about... didn't remember what fitting went into the explorer pump, but he said he'd take a look around the shop and give me a call back.

I tried to find some p/n documentation a few months back for the fitting I bought from him a few years ago but came up empty handed.

Tom had a stroke a year or two ago and unfortunately has probably suffered some effects from it. If you call again, try and jog his memory by describing the pump as a C3 pump. That might help.

Todd Z.