• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer EFI in Tank Pump Wiring

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
See pics, one is pump end , the other is the wire coming from inertia switch that goes to power wire on the pump. Guessing it is the red wire? Also if red is positive , and black is ground, do I need to ground the black wire? IMG_1444.jpeg IMG_1434.jpeg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Dark green/yellow stripe is the power to the inertia switch from the fuel pump relay, then it changes to pink with a black stripe which is power to the fuel pump. The other side of the fuel pump (Black) is ground. It can be grounded to the frame, provided you have a good sized ground wire from the block to the frame.

For simplicity, I usually de-pin those addition wires on the fuel pump assembly that are not used.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dark green/yellow stripe is the power to the inertia switch from the fuel pump relay, then it changes to pink with a black stripe which is power to the fuel pump. The other side of the fuel pump (Black) is ground. It can be grounded to the frame, provided you have a good sized ground wire from the block to the frame.

For simplicity, I usually de-pin those addition wires on the fuel pump assembly that are not used.
So the pink black wire pictured from the inertia switch goes to red on the fuel pump?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The inertia switch should break up the power signal to your FP relay.

It should not be on your fuel pump power line at all.

Relay has ground and power to take the main power source line, it switches that on if it has both ground and power, and then send that source power to your fuel pump.

Although, you have 3 wires to your FP? Maybe that's different.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Crap, I just looked too, you're right! But why?

I certainly didn't wire mine that way; that makes no sense to me to put the load on that when you don't need to.

I'm pretty sure the Ron Francis instructions also said to install it how I'm saying. What's the point of a relay, but to take the load off other things. Why have load on a metal ball when you don't need to?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What's the point of a relay, but to take the load off other things. Why have load on a metal ball when you don't need to?

Because the relay can be damaged during a collision that may cause it to still provide current to the pump even without a trigger signal.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone wired up the factory sending unit on in pump tank and made it work?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
You can use any sending unit you want if you're using Dakota Digital gauges…which gauges ru running?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Has anyone wired up the factory sending unit on in pump tank and made it work?
If I recall correctly, the sending unit is a different ohm spread than the factory bronco gauge.
But as ba123 states, if you have aftermarket gauges that should be an option...

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can use any sending unit you want if you're using Dakota Digital gauges…which gauges ru running?
I am running a rebuilt classy gauges, but also running a OBD2 wireless reader . Also have a sending unit in my 23 gallon EFI tank