• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EV Bronco in the FUture?

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Not yet, but given the circumstances I would be willing to do a conversion like Rugged-EV if push comes to shove.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
It will be a tough sell, with a microscopic interest group I'd think. Bronco Sport would be a seller though probably. When you consider the percentage of folks who will never take a bronco off the payment, the Bronco Sport crowd is even less likely to do the same and stay close to the charge stations.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
After driving a Tesla for the first time, I would buy a EV Bronco. I realize you can't compare the 2, but it would be fun to drive.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I think there will definitely be an EV Bronco in the future - I'd expect to see something in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps something like the Wrangler 4xE first?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I agree that it is inevitable. Right now the EV industry is going through some teething pains, but progress is being made. Todd is probably right, 2-3 years and we can expect something. I haven't heard much from the street on how the new Ford truck EV is going.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will be a tough sell, with a microscopic interest group I'd think. Bronco Sport would be a seller though probably. When you consider the percentage of folks who will never take a bronco off the payment, the Bronco Sport crowd is even less likely to do the same and stay close to the charge stations.
I would say that market is pretty large, the market for gas is shrinking rapidly.

Battery technology just needs to be better. Currently it's not good enough, there are always huge breakthroughs, but nothing has made it to consumers yet.

Toyota just announced this. 700+ mile range and 10 minute charge would mean gas is obsolete.

https://insideevs.com/news/675517/toyota-battery-breakthrough-745-miles-range/

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I would say that market is pretty large, the market for gas is shrinking rapidly.

Battery technology just needs to be better. Currently it's not good enough, there are always huge breakthroughs, but nothing has made it to consumers yet.

Toyota just announced this. 700+ mile range and 10 minute charge would mean gas is obsolete.

https://insideevs.com/news/675517/toyota-battery-breakthrough-745-miles-range/

I live in an oil and gas state so maybe so maybe that's why I don't see any hardly. I've never seen a charging station ever and I've only seen a handful of Teslas. See quite a few in Wichita.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EV's are mainstream around here in SE Michigan. Charging stations being put in all over the place. I would be surprised if Ford Didn't have an EV Bronco in the next couple years - I would want one but probably wouldn't buy one - I'd buy an older(3-4 years) used gas one first. Maybe when the electric Bronco hits the market people will want to get rid of the gas ones cheap so they can get the newest, latest & greatest thing out there. Well I can hope anyway. :rolleyes:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I live in an oil and gas state so maybe so maybe that's why I don't see any hardly. I've never seen a charging station ever and I've only seen a handful of Teslas. See quite a few in Wichita.
They are everywhere in my state, Oregon and WA. Tesla and Rivians are status symbols for wealth. We have a large wealthy population.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
It will happen for sure. Not sure I would buy one. But I am sure Ford is already working on one. As crappy on gas as the new bronco is a hybrid or full electric would be nice.

My area is really strange, lots of wealth and lots of lower middle class. I see Teslas all the time and quite a few F150 lightings. Yeah the wealthy are the ones driving them the most but they are installing charging stations in most of the large gas stations in my area and in some of the mall parking lots. My father inlaw has a fully electric Porsche and its really cool but not my cup of tea. I am sure the day will come when I buy and electric something but I am holding out for better batteries.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have a large wealthy population too, I live in an oil and gas state lol. It's an unspoken sign of being "a green liberal" if seen in one here.
I would say every one of the people I know with a Tesla didn't get one because it's "green" they got it because it's faster then a Ferrari. Lol

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I think there will definitely be an EV Bronco in the future - I'd expect to see something in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps something like the Wrangler 4xE first?

Todd Z.
A friend of mine had a 4xE for a period. 19 miles on the charge. Waste of time, if you ask me.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
As far as charging stations, did anyone catch that Elon has entered agreements with Ford and Chevy to use his charging stations. That has to has to piss off alot of Tesla customers when they can't get into a fast charge station. Remember they are waiting much much longer to fill up than a gas engine...
I see a bronco ev in the future without a doubt. My bigger concern is in the next 20 years will I or my daughter be able to afford fuel and parts to keep my current gas bronco running and driving?

I agree with others that I don't see a huge swing in the midwest with regard to more people driving EV's. Most just can't afford them and the rest see it as a sign of being a liberal green nut.

My personal preference would be to own a hybrid with gas and EV capabilities. I think it's the best interim step until the grid and power supply catches up with the future needs of the all the electric charging....

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Yes, right now they are for richer folks. But gosh darn, too bad about the middle of the country. Nothing wrong with being a liberal greenie. I like red shirts and nobody accuses me of being Maga hat. Seems the folks in the middle of the country have it all wrong anyway. If your political persuasion controls what car you can buy, that doesn’t sound like freedom to me. But no matter, we all have to wait until the EV infrastructure is farther along before any of that makes any difference anyway.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Yes, right now they are for richer folks. But gosh darn, too bad about the middle of the country. Nothing wrong with being a liberal greenie. I like red shirts and nobody accuses me of being Maga hat. Seems the folks in the middle of the country have it all wrong anyway. If your political persuasion controls what car you can buy, that doesn’t sound like freedom to me. But no matter, we all have to wait until the EV infrastructure is farther along before any of that makes any difference anyway.
I saw just yesterday where Mercedes has made a deal with Tesla to use their charging stations and continue using that same tech to more of the country. Good on Elon for pulling that off!
Left/Right/Blue or Red I don't care. I too would own due to the speed factor, however I am very concerned about the reduction in electrical power through the reduction of coal fired power. If you flipped a switch tomorrow and everyone had to jump to electrical cars there isn't remotely enough power on the grid to make it happen and anyone that knows that industry knows it true. Problem, is most still think the power magically appears from the sockets.......

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When the miles get into the 500-700 range I would only have to charge every few months or do like a trickle charge every week or so. Which would be pretty nuts.

I assume the grid will continue to get better as people slowly adopt EV. Buffered by solar, smaller power stations etc.. When there is money to be made, corporations will figure out a way.

My brother in law charges his car via a smaller solar panel on his roof, doesn't pay a dime for the power. Drives to work every day without paying a dime outside of the 8k or so the solar panel was. I would probably do the same, a few cold months a year here might be hard to get enough solar power for the car.

I also think Lithium is a dumb battery tech, I am waiting on the next big step. The battery fires in peoples houses scares me, I do not want to die in a fire.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
When the miles get into the 500-700 range I would only have to charge every few months or do like a trickle charge every week or so. Which would be pretty nuts.

I assume the grid will continue to get better as people slowly adopt EV. Buffered by solar, smaller power stations etc.. When there is money to be made, corporations will figure out a way.

My brother in law charges his car via a smaller solar panel on his roof, doesn't pay a dime for the power. Drives to work every day without paying a dime outside of the 8k or so the solar panel was. I would probably do the same, a few cold months a year here might be hard to get enough solar power for the car.

I also think Lithium is a dumb battery tech, I am waiting on the next big step. The battery fires in peoples houses scares me, I do not want to die in a fire.
While I agree that eventually someone will figure it out as far as power needs and power consumption, storage etc. The interim may be quite long until that figured out. Too, most people in the US cannot afford the EV vehicles and if you extrapolate that out to other countries it certainly isn't going to happen as a lot of them barely have power at all. Most people don't realize that vast parts of the US are critically low on electrical power, that includes the midwest states that have previously been flush with electrical power. The most important being critically needed power when the temps go way up or way down and then everyone start cranking their heat or AC.

If you couple that with what the government would like, which is everyone immediately make a jump to EV's only. Well it likely isn't an option as most states would either brown or blackout in short order, with the exceptions with those having nuclear power still available.

What kind of car is your brother charging with a small solar panel?

I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting a smaller power station in their respective town, anymore its a bunch of NIMBY types who just want free power that doesn't impact their lives. They would run on trash? What do you do with the leftover ash? Not to mention the CO2 connection.
Natural gas? Already happening on larger scale but the liberal left doesn't like the CO2 either.
Hydrogen? Maybe but then you have the explosive side to worry about..
Small Nukes? Probably not, to much concern over melt downs and waste.

Wind continues to grow but really doesn't make sense when you factor in upkeep and cost structure, not to mention it needs well wind..
Solar only works when the suns out and frankly is a waste of land IMO.

Currently, I am at a loss to see how this arrives and plays out well for anyone but the truly wealthy.