• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine swap ? - Mustang or Explorer

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That $500 adaptor will be needed for any transmission swap.

What's better, that has actually changed over the years. Not too long ago it would have been a mix of mustang and Explorer parts. Now it is an Explorer with a little computer work done to it. If it was an AWD/4WD explorer you can get a bolt on adaptor for the transfer case. If it was 2WD it takes a different adaptor and more work to go through the transmission and put the correct output shaft in.

nlped

That's a great price for sure. And if you are going with the NV trans, then you can sell the 4r70w trans and recouped some of that $ too. Go for it!!!

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
That 97 sounds like a great deal but you should confirm that it has GT40 heads as the GT40 P heads started showing up in 97.

Also, the 98 and later 4r70w had some substantial improvements which make it stronger, more reliable.

PS........I have an explorer motor with mustang ignition. If EFI guy was around at the time I would have went that route.

Dutton

Loc.
Farmington NM
I am in the same position. There is a huge amount of detail that one must understand before an EFI swap can happen. It would be cool if there was a detailed list of options that would work together to effectively install an EFI set up in a bronco. This forum has a bunch of information on it but it is kinda hard to get it all. Let me know if you find a solution. Good luck.

OP
OP
Green '70

Green '70

Loc.
Wylie, Tx
I have the engine/tranny sewed up, will pick it up in a week or two. It is an early '97, confirmed GT40 heads. Its a 2wd tranny, so I will have to disassemble/reassemble with correct tailshaft. I could upgrade the parts at that time. All internal improvements, correct? Anything else major to consider besides radiator, headers, EFI gas tank, 4.88 gears to go with the 33" tires and several $k of misc goodies? Again, THANKS!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4.88s with 33s on a 5.0 should be a pretty sweat combo. Don't forget to add some driveshafts to the parts list.

OP
OP
Green '70

Green '70

Loc.
Wylie, Tx
So, Ourobus, with an NP205 from a mid '70-late '80 Bronco or F150, I can bolt directly to the 4r70w...does it need to be a 4wd tranny? If so, I can replace tail shaft, correct, since I have a 2wd tranny. Since I need new driveshafts and modified x-member anyway...it might be cheaper/easier/better to do that. Hmmm...I like it! Thanks. Any downside?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Has to be a 4wd tranny for a 205 to bolt to it. The only downside of the 205 is the gearing is not quite as low as a D20 but its way stronger than a D20.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The downside to the 205 is the low range is just 2:1, where the D20 is 2.34:1. So your low range won't be as low. The other downside is that it's heavy, just about indestructible, but heavy. You can put a Klune-V in front of it, then you'd have a 4 speed. More money, more mods, more fun.

Mark

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
If you go with the 205, I have an out put shaft and tail housing from 4x4 4R70W.

PM me if you are interested.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
If you go that route, save the 2wd stuff. I may be in the market for it in the future.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
So, Ourobus, with an NP205 from a mid '70-late '80 Bronco or F150, I can bolt directly to the 4r70w...does it need to be a 4wd tranny? If so, I can replace tail shaft, correct, since I have a 2wd tranny. Since I need new driveshafts and modified x-member anyway...it might be cheaper/easier/better to do that. Hmmm...I like it! Thanks. Any downside?

Output shaft is still different between 2WD and 4WD. Just changing the bolt on tail housing won't fix it.