• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Running Loud/Hard after Carb Replace

paddycurr

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, long time listener, second time poster.

I've just finished replacing the stock carb on my 73 Bronco, and the engine is running LOUD. In particular, the radiator is HUMMING, loud and fast and cool but I'm sorta blown away by how hard the whole thing seems to be going. Is this typical after a new carburator install? Also, the truck has been sitting idol in my driveway for 6 months, so maybe that's just part of it?

Any intel is appreciated.

Best
Patrick

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
If there is noise from the radiator, it's probably boiling water...not good. New carb could be running lean and getting the engine hot. How are you confirming the coolant temperature? Did you confirm the new carb is tuned properly?

Maybe it's just noisy, or a noisy fan. Check for anything loose too.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, maybe the idle is set too high, maybe there is a vacuum leak. Make sure the choke opens and you are coming off of high idle when the engine warms up. Put a tach on it and say what RPM you see at idle. Good luck

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
idle to hi? Noise can be rad fan making noise. What is idle speed?

I was going to throw a bunch of extra old guy funny comebacks, but I'm tired...