• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock E Street EFI Install

qpj993

Loc.
Albany, NY
5.0 efi

I like the kit and have been watching a lot of the videos for these on youtube.

I do not have a body lift and do not want the large 23 gallon tank hanging down. I would like to use the original style (although a new one).

Can I use the item below woth the factory or kit you installed? Is there a better solution? Thanks!

Edelbrock Universal EFI Fuel Sump Kit
Item #: ED3605W

OP
OP
J

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
I like the kit and have been watching a lot of the videos for these on youtube.

I do not have a body lift and do not want the large 23 gallon tank hanging down. I would like to use the original style (although a new one).

Can I use the item below woth the factory or kit you installed? Is there a better solution? Thanks!

Edelbrock Universal EFI Fuel Sump Kit
Item #: ED3605W

If you want to retain your stock tanks the ED3605W Edelbrock Fuel Sump Kit will work out nicely for you. This kit will work with many other EFI systems as well and is setup for 50 to 60psi. The sump is designed to mount in your engine compartment. The dimensions are 5" wide x 7" long, and I believe right around 12" Deep. I would suggest mounting the sump on the driver side of the core support. It pulls fuel from your mechanical fuel pump into the sump, then out of the sump to your throttle body. This is the easiest way to go in my opinion, but of course not the only way.
-Justin

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Looks a lot like the GM. TBI

If there was a way to tie the GM TBI into the ford distributor it would be a easy inexpensive swap

I've see several old scouts with it
So they've figured out a way to tie it into the scout dizzy

I'm gonna be adding TBI to my sons 1980 Chevy stepside

Tired of fooling with the carb
Fiddle with it for 4 hours. Get it running good

Two days later it runs like crap again
Not gonna work for a 16 yr old new driver

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Tired of fooling with the carb
Fiddle with it for 4 hours. Get it running good

Two days later it runs like crap again
Not gonna work for a 16 yr old new driver

You mean a "modern" 16 yr old, don't you? ;D
Some of us used to absolutely thrive on that kind of stuff! Became more of a goal than a trial.
Now as parents though, we're programmed to help them avoid all the pitfalls we used to fall into. Well, you guys do anyway. I'm not a parent. Yet...
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

At least two companies have been repurposing the GM TBI's for other engines for 20 years or more now.
Turbo City and Howell come to mind. Not sure if they always control the ignition or not though. Have one for my F-350, but am still toying with the idea of one of the new TBI setups.

Paul

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
It's also a four speed
Teaching him how to drive a manual with a crappy carb in Atlanta traffic is
Not gonna work
Gonna get us killed

I will say that the stock 2 bbl that used to be on my bronco and the stock 4 bbl on the 390 in my 66 thunderbird worked great

OP
OP
J

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
I got to put it to the test today at Prairie City OHV Park. I load the family up in the Bronc and we're off to the park going 70mph down the highway for the next 45 minutes. Entered the park, locked the hubs, put the twin sticks in 4 low, NP435 in first, and immediately went for the gnarliest climb I could find. It idled up most of the way, with little effort, and finished off the climb with a nudge of the throttle. Head to another Hill, get in a spot that needs more throttle, so I hit it, the bronco's buckin' like a sonuvagun;D all four tires are coming off the ground at one point, I begin turning the front tires left to right and manage to pull my way to the top. For the next few hours I intentionally took the toughest lines, nose down, or up, at times heavy on the throttle, and other times just letting it climb the obstacles idling, and it performed incredibly well. Aside from a couple of moments that it idled a little rough, just to quickly correct itself(the ECU) this system performed great. This was the first time that I had seriously put my EFI to the test offroad since the install, so i'm sure it was just a matter of the ECU learning how to respond to Rockcrawling. Next time out should be even better! Here's a couple of Pics

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
J

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
Just wanted to give anyone interested in this kit an update. I recently ran into some issues where it would miss under hard acceleration, and sometimes die after the engine would get warm. After a few calls to Edelbrocks tech line, and troubleshooting over the weekends, we came to the conclusion that my current HEI distributor wasn't supplying a clean enough tach signal to my ECU for the system to run correctly. I purchased the MSD Module #83647 which has it's own dedicated tach output that offers a very clean signal. Problem solved! It's running better than ever, hasn't died on me since, and I'm very happy with it. I wanted to share this info for anyone who might be looking into this kit, and running an HEI setup. If you are not running an HEI Dizzy, then this upgrade is not going to be necessary, and you won't experience this issue, but if you are running an HEI, then I would recommend buying it in advance. For those of you considering the Fast EFI 2.0 Throttle Body EFI as well, I would highly recommend this upgrade. After lots of research I found that both the FAST EFI 2.0, and the Edelbrock EFI need a very clean tach signal to operate to their full potential. I figured that I would share this info in case anyone else is battling the same issue. Hope this helps.
-Justin

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That'd be an interesting thing to hear. Do you have visual inspections there that are considered just as important as the sniffer test? If not, I don't see why it couldn't be made to pass.

Here, it would fail the visual, but only if the guy pulled the air cleaner off. Though most are pretty diligent in their rooting around under the hood, I bet you could get past a few of them still and move on to the sniffer.
A stock-ish air cleaner that covers most of the top (like a mid-eighties big snorkel Mustang unit perhaps?) and a Duraspark big-cap distributor, and maybe a little less shine on the throttle body, and they might not even notice.

Paul

1crazypony

Loc.
LOYALTON
Thanks Justin I'm glad to see you have joined the crazy in the bronco world, It seems like a nice truck. I can't wait to get mine back on the road. I'm considering buying another one so I'm sure I will see you at the shop.

OP
OP
J

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
Uld
will this work with the pertronix distributor??

thanks!

Stock style billet flame thrower distributor yes, no problem. If your thinking of running the Pertronix Hei then you'll want the Msd module to add to the distributor.
If I did it again, I would stick with a Non Hei style for more clearance between the air cleaner, and the distributor. The pertronix Hei cap is huge.

OP
OP
J

Justin@WH4x4

Sponsor/Vendor
Thanks Justin I'm glad to see you have joined the crazy in the bronco world, It seems like a nice truck. I can't wait to get mine back on the road. I'm considering buying another one so I'm sure I will see you at the shop.

Sounds good. If you're ever in the area stop by and say hello.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
I went with the FAST system. I didn't see this one as an option when I bought it over a year ago. I sourced my own fuel system for it and everything works great. Pulling that holley off was one of my best upgrades. I totally agree that it makes the vehicle so much more fun to drive. It cranks on the first turn every time.

60 psi seems pretty high. I keep mine set at 43. I keep having to unhook the battery when I weld on my rig so I keep having to let the computer relearn.

All in all, I'm really happy with the upgrade and agree that it's quick. I'll never go carb again.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Before you disconnect the battery, hook a small 9 volt to the battery cables with some alligator clips, then unhook the battery. You won't fry the battery, and the 9 volts will be enough for the computer to remember what it already learned.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. In fact, if you do it that often, why not just make a little "module" thingy there near the main wires with a little 9v battery and a switch. When you're ready to weld you can just throw the switch and isolate everything but keep the ECM thinking.
Well, more like dreaming, as the computer sees it, but you get the idear. ;D

Oooh, make it a big honkin' Frankenstein-lookin' double-contact lever switch with a big hazard sign on it with some clever words designed to impress the general public and scare the kids. The sky's the limit. Could be a fun project.

Paul