• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock 1406 Carb Overhaul Shop

RonJones

Contributor
Anybody know of a good shop I can mail in a 1406 to have overhauled and set up for an EB?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Set up for an eb? What do you want it to do? If you plan on going off road get a different carb. If it's just for the street they work they're pretty good. It's been a while since I had one on the bronco but I think they require a Ford linkage kit that's extra to make em work on the bronco.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor
I have two; the used one sitting off the EB that came with the Performer manifold never seemed to idle right, so I bought a new one 10 yrs ago, and after some jetting and an off-road kit did fine for going up and down the gullies here at the farm. Unfortunately, it’s been sitting dry for about 3 yrs, so I anticipate problems when I fire it up later thus year.

I thought about overhauling it myself, but when I saw the 43 minute YouTube video just for disassembly, I’m afraid I don’t have the experience, patience or the short term memory to undertake that.

Oh, and the linkage is all done.

Attachments

• 8181F250-C1E0-4B15-B363-6F3D4BC63B69.jpeg
    8181F250-C1E0-4B15-B363-6F3D4BC63B69.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
R

RonJones

Contributor

Another issue with self-OVH is that even the name brand Edelbrock Kit #1477 is Ch**ese cr*p, judging from the Amazon reviews. It’s good you’ve found one that works.

I looked up National Carb, their rebuild of my carb price is $229 vs getting one of theirs being $269. It would prob cost me $30+ to ship mine from Oklahoma, plus another $30 back. Buying one of theirs requires me to ship back the core, so $289 vs $299. A new one is $359 shipped from Amazon.

Rebuilding the old one is looking better and better!

Jfryjfry

It’s not difficult at all. Pull up this video and just go along with him. You don’t need to make the little feet he did but they wouldn’t hurt.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWShW9BJMY4

The second in the series puts it together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPTOVpz7zg

I paused it when he pulled up the instructions and read about my particular one But if you have a rebuild kit you’ll be fine I just pulled mine completely apart and cleaned it. Took maybe 1-1.5 hours total and it runs great.

I watched a few different and found this to be the easiest and best that i found.