• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Early Bronco at Carroll Shelby's Ranch

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
well form a dif. source ........

Shelby had def. some Terlingua (TR) connections. Shelby and Dallas Attorney, David Witt owned the Terlingua Ranch before Terramar purchased the TR in late '60s. Witt acquired TR, then known as the Chirachiua Ranch in the early 60's. The other owners, along with Witt and Shelby, were Bill Neale, owner of a Dallas PR firm and also the Director of Promotions for Ford were the four owners. They would have rowdy weekends at the TR and always cooked chili.
They also decided to promote TR more and decided to have a World Championship Chili Cook-off. A wild time was held by all w. tons of Shelby and Ratpack shinanigans.
All the promoting of Terlingua was done for Shelby and partners to be able to sell 40acre tracts of the 200k plus acres of TR. Enough of Shelby stories for now.

The World Championship Chili Cook-off is every 1st weekend in November but I cant post most of the pix bc most women are topless !

PS: Come to find out Bill Neale's son-in-law had been the drummer for the Doors and had written the book and screenplay for the Morrison movie.

at least one EB was at Terlingua Ranch in 1974 ...see 1st pic .. ;) hope I get more info on 1965-1970 soon

Attachments

• ter-EB.jpg
    ter-EB.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 177
  • ter_an_Bob_1976__02.jpg
    ter_an_Bob_1976__02.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Terlingua__1973.jpg
    Terlingua__1973.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Broncitis

MEB Founder
This and another Balloon Chaser all in a short period of time. Whats next? :eek:

And the Kar Kraft "Boss Bronco", and 732005 as well, both in the last 4-6 weeks or so.

As these get hotter and prices go up, more and more interesting finds will surely surface.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
For many years, Terlingua was only known as a deserted mercury mining town. But for Carroll Shelby enthusiasts, the name, the place and its free spirited reputation have pretty much been the stuff of automotive legend. Terlingua started in the early 1960's as a place for Shelby and a few racing friends to meet, unwind and hold chili cook-offs in the desert isolation of West Texas. But soon it became larger than life, much like the man himself. The locale might never have gained such notoriety had Carroll's friend and automotive artist, Bill Neale, not drawn the official Terlingua "coat of arms" that ultimately began mysteriously showing up on race cars and other conspicuous places around the world. The infamous black-stylized-rabbit with raised paw became the symbol of the newly formed Terlingua Racing Team.

Carroll had an unreasonably deep love for chili

Urban legend has it that Shelby once almost hit a chef for putting beans in his chili, but his chili passion ran far deeper than that. All those Cobras and Mustangs that say Terlingua on the side? He owned 220,000 acres in West Texas near the town of Terlingua, where he co-founded the world's first chili cook-off. It still runs to this day, alongside his eponymous chili brand, available nation wide.
Chili's the restaurant exists because of Carroll
Larry Levine, the founder of Chili's, was Carrol's son-in-law in the early seventies, and had gone to Terlingua's cook-offs a few times before opening the first of the now-ubiquitous restaurants in Dallas.3 Think about that the next time you're rolling up fajitas and slurping down a frozen strawberry margarita.

cool stuff !

Attachments

• ter tmg-default_lq.jpg
    ter tmg-default_lq.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 123
  • terlingua-CookOff_03x.jpg
    terlingua-CookOff_03x.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Terlingua Racingad1.jpg
    Terlingua Racingad1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
  • shelby-stickers-terlingua-terror-mustangx.jpg
    shelby-stickers-terlingua-terror-mustangx.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 128

Fastwest

I've been to the Terlingua chili cook off a few times. It gets pretty wild. I have a few pictures that I cant post....lol. Would love a sticker of that coat of arms.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I've been to the Terlingua chili cook off a few times. It gets pretty wild. I have a few pictures that I cant post....lol. Would love a sticker of that coat of arms.

the original decal varies just slightly from the once you can find now on ebay ( the sun in the logo is a lil dif. )

Attachments

• terlingua-racing-team-log.jpg
    terlingua-racing-team-log.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 102
  • terlingua-ranch-house-.jpg
    terlingua-ranch-house-.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 109

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
From the Shelby American SEMA Bash this year

Attachments

• DSCN4105.jpg
    DSCN4105.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN4098.jpg
    DSCN4098.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 68

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drew I have old pics of 732000 i could post to tide us over? from 1999.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Drew I have old pics of 732000 i could post to tide us over? from 1999.
I have one of those and some new ones, but probably best to let the new owner do the reveal since the pics have never been seen publicly before.

Franko, it was in a state where everything is bigger until a few weeks ago.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I lost the envelope. Or maybe was emailed? Was from a large southern state.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
ah yes 7983x

let me understand that correct ... any and all pix of it prior to 1999 are fair game !?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Jeez.... Big southern state where everything is bigger? I'll say it.... Texas.

What's all the secrecy about? If you have old pictures from a previous owner why not post them??? It's not like they are copyrighted...... this is better than waiting on the election results.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Jeez.... Big southern state where everything is bigger? I'll say it.... Texas.

What's all the secrecy about? If you have old pictures from a previous owner why not post them??? It's not like they are copyrighted...... this is better than waiting on the election results.
Because the 2nd owner wanted anonymity and the 3rd owner wants to unveil it in his own time and way.

He's currently talking to various magazines and other media about it since it also holds a wider significance due to the Shelby connection. Therefore, it's best left to him to decide.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
ah yes 7983x

let me understand that correct ... any and all pix of it prior to 1999 are fair game !?
If you think you have some from the ranch, then sure, post them.

I'm just trying to respect the deal between the recent seller and buyer.

FYI, it left the ranch in 78

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
well, I'm not part of this reveal and I have a pic. No one told me about it and ya'll are asking....