• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drum spindles - Different left and right?

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
After putting in a Spartan Locker, I was beginning to re-assemble, and I noticed that my left and right spindles were different.

A bit of searching seems to show that there were 2 different spindles, but they were from different years. Does this mean the guy I paid to put a Dana 44 under my Bronco 20 years ago got creative? Or is this normal?

Does it mean my knuckles are different too?

If I eventually want to do the chevy disc brake conversion will I have to worry about the difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsuup-JUB3s

[youtube]Fsuup-JUB3s[/youtube]

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its been awhile since I've had a drum brake spindle on the bench but there were 2 different D44 spindles some of the early 71/72 d44's used a seal in the end of the knuckle later ones used a rubber dust seal on the axle shaft. other than the seals they are the same.
Not sure but you might want to look at the axle shafts to see if they are any different as well I'm not sure if they used slightly differnet stubs due to seal differances or not. might also want to check out the pics on JBG of the 2 different d44 spindle bearing seal kits. That bronze thrust washer should be on both sides sometimes plastic ones were used. I think all the replacement ones nowadays are plastic.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
You will toss them when you go to discs as they will be changed out. I have several of both styles if you want to match them up. If you or someone else from the Springs is coming up for the Breakfast I will send one your way. The seals are different for both styles, one pounds in like a normal seal and the other one is rubber and just rides/rotates on the lip and depending on your axle shafts it may make a difference on what stubs you use. The 66-72 spindle is different from the 73-75 and then there is the Disc 76,77 spindle.

I had the same issue.
http://www.coloradoclassicbroncos.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1424&hilit=spindle

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I really just should have asked "should I worry about this?"

Since its nothing to worry about I'll continue putting my daily driver back together. It's cold riding the motorcycle to work.

Zillacon

Loc.
Hackin Away!
I really just should have asked "should I worry about this?"

Since its nothing to worry about I'll continue putting my daily driver back together. It's cold riding the motorcycle to work.

Not really if your shafts fit which it sounds like they do. Just use the proper seals on each side.

OP
OP
Vragor

Vragor

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Not sure but you might want to look at the axle shafts to see if they are any different as well

The axle shafts are different. Just for grins I tried to see if you could swap one spindle for the other. You can't. Trying to put the spindle with the short shoulder on the axle shaft with the long shoulder leaves a big gap. Trying the other way doesn't let the axle shaft go all the way into spindle.

So I'll have to replace one outer axle shaft when I do the Chevy disc conversion.

Zillacon said:
I have several of both styles if you want to match them up.

For now I don't care that they are mismatched. When I do the conversion I'll toss the spindle, but I'll need a different shaft.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Thats why he probably had the standard thrust washer on the short flange spindle and no thrust washer on the long flange spindle.