• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driver side rear axle too long?

Gtboonstra

First time poster… I have a 73 U15 that I inherited from my dad when he passed away in 2019. I believe the rear axle is the stock large bearing with 11” X 1 3/4" brake shoes/drums.
I’ve been putzing around town for a year or 2 and haven’t had any major issues with braking. Recently, I noticed the master cylinder was leaking so I replaced it and figured I’d replace shoes and drums while I was at it. When I took off the rear driver side shoe, I noticed there was a distinct ridge on the inside of the shoe about 1/8” where it wasn’t contacting the drum. After I reinstalled new drums and shoes I notice that the drum isn’t getting as close to the backing plate as the one on the passenger side, leaving a gap of about 1/8” between the drum and the backing plate…
So my question is… is this normal? If not, It appears that the half axle on the driver side might be a little too long? Is this something I should be concerned with seeing as I haven’t had any noticeable issues with braking? I haven’t pushed her hard, but I also haven’t had any noticeable issues with rear diff that I’m aware of.
Would love to hear thoughts from those more experienced than myself.
Thank you!

tbratz

Pull the axle and check the bearing. Perhaps the bearing isn't pressed on the axle all the way and this is causing the axle to stick a little further out than it is supposed to. This in turn could be causing the drum to sit further away from the backing plate.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It could also be the wrong axle. It might be a '74-'75 medium duty axle. The difference is going to be seen in the distance between the bearing and the axle flange. You could compare that measurement to the other side.

joshua

Contributor
It could also be the wrong axle. It might be a '74-'75 medium duty axle. The difference is going to be seen in the distance between the bearing and the axle flange. You could compare that measurement to the other side.
I thought the rear had to different length axles? Must be a different rear end I read that about

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
They are different lengths from side to side, but the brake offset should be the same.

joshua

Contributor
I c. I thought you meant overall length. Makes sense now.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Here's a little chart to help see the differences. Light duty is '66-'75, small bearing, 10" brake axle. Medium duty is '74-'75 only, big bearing, 10" brake axle. Heavy duty is '66-'75, big bearing, 11" brake axle. '76-'77 is like heavy duty except with wider brakes. The OP has the heavy duty axle.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
G

Gtboonstra

Here's a little chart to help see the differences. Light duty is '66-'75, small bearing, 10" brake axle. Medium duty is '74-'75 only, big bearing, 10" brake axle. Heavy duty is '66-'75, big bearing, 11" brake axle. '76-'77 is like heavy duty except with wider brakes. The OP has the heavy duty axle.
Very helpful! Thank you!