• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Driveline problem/Driveshaft Vibration

txpd

This is a spin off of another thread. I've got a '75 Baja Bronco with a 3 1/2 inch lift(wildhorse) & 33-10.5-15 tires.

When I got the truck in December, 05 it had a harmonic vibration on the highway starting at about 50mph and getting worse as speeds increased.

Shortly afterward the CV joint broke at the transmition and I put a complete new/used Bronco shaft, CV joint package on the truck. The vibration remains thought not as bad.

I've had the truck checked at two different places. The pinion angle is 5 degrees. I am told that is within specs and that the vibration is not unusual for lifted trucks. Carlisle is 5 weeks away and 8 hours on the road up and back with a potential shaft/cv joint issue doesn't excite me. I want to get it cleared up.

I have no 4x4 specialty shop here and I am new to Broncos and lift kits.
I am looking for some help.

Thoughts?

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
We can't tell if your pinion angle is correct without seeing it. The fact that it is 5 degrees is not the point. Your pinion should be pointing at your transfer case as shown in the picture. I am no expert here, but have you had your tires balanced lately? Another idea is to put the rear on jack stands and check for loose or worn parts (u-joints, pinion, wheel bearings).

FYI the pinion angle pic is from: http://www.4xshaft.com/techinfo.html

Attachments

• cv_angle.gif
    cv_angle.gif
    7 KB · Views: 28

idahobronc

Loc.
ketchum,Idaho
Did you rebuild your shaft?I would pull it and bring it to a driveline shop and have them check your joints and rebalance your shaft.Did you check you tire balance? I love new bern NC! I drive there every year to go giant bluefin fishing.

OP
OP
T

txpd

I don't have a driveline shop here to my knowledge. The shaft/cv i got was complete when I bought/installed it. The truck is being painted and will have the tires put on freshly painted and balanced painted steel rims. Maybe it will make a difference. I will know on Saturday about that.

Fishing here is great. NO question. Where do you come from?

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Mine was pinion angle, with those symptoms. I was keeping Ujoints in the glove box till I fixed it.

idahobronc

Loc.
ketchum,Idaho
txpd, I'm from ketchum,Idaho.My parents live in swansboro. I visit them in january and go out with jay blount in moorehead city.GBT are a blast,only managed to ge one in out of seven hooked.Curt