• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

do i grease or lube my body mounts when i replace them?

plothead

i am about to replace the body mounts. do i grease or lube them when i install them so there is less/no squeek?
if so, what kinda grease?
i gothte polyeurethane ones from WH, if that makes a difference.
they told me they were injected with graphite during construction.
thanks
cd

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
No, It would just dry or wash away. The WH mounts are slippery to the touch when you get them. I just put on a new set of WH body mounts and 2" blocks without any problem or squeeks.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i would lube the bolt threads with some antiseize or copper slip type coating. that way years down the raod ,you can unscrew them and not have to cut them out. be nice to yourself or the next owner.
antiseize can be a great thing from preventing any potential corrosion on things that don't get taken apart frequently.

a rule of thumb i use: if it doesn't get some type of loctite on it, i put some sort of lube on the threads. has really paid dividends over all the years.

Walter Hinz

Loc.
Cedar Grove, NJ
Just curious.. How difficult is it to replace the body mounts. Mine are in terrible shape and I thought while I was welding in some new body panels (floors, inner fenders, door post) I could replace them. Are there any tricks or tips on how to succesfully replace them?

Thanks..

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Having just replaced the body mounts and a 2" body lift 2 weeks ago, it's fresh in my mind.
First, it was not as bad as I thought. But reading all the threads I could find first was helpful. Main Points:
1)Do one side at a time (not front to back)
2)Lubricate the bolts for a couple of days in advance.
3)Slightly lift the body rails to reduce tension.
4)Borrow, buy or rent a Sawzall with a long blade(most important)
if you dont own one.
5)Tape the hole in the frame under the middle mount to avoid
dropping the nut into the frame rail.
Many of the bolts will come out ok. The mounts are swegded in so the will all have to be cut out. Cutting through rubber is not fun. I cut the mount in half (just to one side of center) then cut through horizontal.
Last, while your already in there go for the body lift of 1-2"
edge

Last edited: