• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dirt Bike Transportation

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Fellas - if you ride a dirt bike how to transport it behind your rig? I have a2" receiver hitch on the back so I have options. I was considering one of those single racks. Anyone ever do this? What if I add a four wheeler and add a trailer? Anyone towing anything behind their rig?

Mine is stock suspension, 5.0 with plenty of power, 4R70W, discs in the front. It does like to wander a little on braking but is otherwise pretty stable at 65 mph.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Have pull bikes n 4\wheelers for years on utility trailers.The old three bike trailers are fine to pull.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If you're looking at a hitch-mount carrier for dirt bikes, I'd highly recommend the Joe Hauler units. A buddy of mine makes them in southern CA and they get great reviews.

I think his website is down at the moment but a quick google search will find them.

Todd Z.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
1215161126a.jpg
[/url]
image hosting 20mb[/IMG]Also the lil green one in this picture.

1215161126.jpg
[/url]
free image host[/IMG]

I pull this one alot loaded with such.

Last edited:

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I have a Kendon 3 bike trailer. Although I mostly use my pickup.

If using a hitch mount be aware of your tongue weight.

Joe Hauler and Versahaul are the premium ones.

My friend used a Versahaul for a few weeks, but lifting it to put it on wore him out. He ended up with a cheap aluminum one from Amazon and has been happy since.

biggercb

No top, no family cage

This has worked for me, as well as a hitch hauler.

Attachments

• bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 116
  • bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 114
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 120

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I haul a couple of dirt bikes off the back of mine. I'm sure this is no help.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0094_2.jpg
    IMG_0094_2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 118

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The biggest overlooked issue with a hitch bike carrier is effective tongue weight. Since they stick out so much further the leverage created is higher. Take the weight of the hitch and bike together and double it for what the effective tongue weight is. Extra length addes extra leverage.

One of the few times I wil state that a little trailer is probably the better idea.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Tongue weight is my concern - how will it effect the handling? If I use a hitch rack I would only go one bike and keep it close to the gate.

You guys with the light weight small trailers no problems eh? I think in PA I can even get one w/o a tag like a waverunner trailer.

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
I have what appears to be the same thing Lawndart has. I have been hauling a CR250 on the back of a CRV. No problems at all during the 300 or so miles I've used it so far.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Pretty cool you can think of using the Bronco for a hauler.

Around here, after our rides, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bronco gone! %)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
These trail bumper mounted hoops were pretty common back in the day. I can still pull my camp trailer with the bike on the car since the hoops don't mount on the hitch.
Mine even have taillights on them since the bike blocks the lights on the car.

Attachments

• Blubuck With Trail 90.jpg
    Blubuck With Trail 90.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 67