• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dash layout...need more real estate or creative ideas

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'm planning a new dash layout and I'm running into a shortage of real estate to get everything I want in place. Here is a list of what I want on the dash...
Stock speedo
~3" tach
stock key, lights, & wiper switches
glovebox
stereo
2 speakers(prefer 4x6, but open to other small round)
3 vents for BC AC kit(prefer round ones)
oval or rectangle upgraded AC controls from BC

I've got an old dash that I've been using as a test bed, and I've also cut out cardboard shapes in the sizes of the various components I want so I can play with layouts.

I had thought about moving the speedo to the exact opposite side of the column so the space on the left side of the column is more useable. With the speedo in the stock location, I cant come up with a use for the little space next to it that's left. What I'd like to have on both outboard edges of the dash is a speaker. Has anyone found a speaker that fits next to the stock speedo location? I was thinking of welding/cutting in two stock speaker grilles(to keep the original look) and having the speakers behind the dash. These would be on the outboard sides of the dash. On the passenger side, it would be the glovebox, speaker grille flip flop that is detailed in the tech section here.

For the AC vents, I've been using the round ones listed on BC's page that are roughly 3" in diameter. Does anyone know what the diameter of the F150 round vents are that others here have used? BC recommends 3 vents,,,,has anyone cut it down to two vents? Not a good idea?

So, how about some ideas or better yet, pics of layouts with similar components on the dash.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I have a few test layouts that work....but certain areas seem crowded. I haven't taken any pics of them, but I probably should to post them in the thread.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem so I just moved th estereo and speakers up into the roll bar. Really helped get rid of a lot of wire behind the dash too.

gotdads68

Contributor
I know you would lose a little sound quality, but what about mounting the speakers on the underside maybe angled towards you a little. Brackets would have to be fabbed but it sounds like you can handle that. Or you could build a fill panel from the trans hump up to the dash face and mount your stereo in it (unless you're running a np435 or something similar). I had a fill panel in mine at one time with stereo and cb mounted.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
So, I've been playing "arrange the shapes" and here is what I've come up with. Only thing I forgot to add was a 12V outlet/cig. lighter, but I think I can find room for it. Any opinions if this looks too crowded?

I'd like to keep the speedo in the stock location, but it doesn't leave enough room on either side of it to use that space well. That's why I have it moved to the other side of the column. I'm not sure how to cut the hole cleanly for the stock speedo, and the aftermarket dashes don't offer a speedo on the mirror image side of the column.

On another subject...what is the general concensus of the dash overlays? I looked at one recently, and I'm not sure what keeps it from rattling against the existing dash. Are the dash overlays not a good way to go about it?

Attachments

• Picture 123910.jpg
    Picture 123910.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 123911.jpg
    Picture 123911.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 32

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
IIRC BC has full dash blanks, not overlays, for a decent price. That's the way I'll go when I'm ready. You could also extend the center section down to the tunnel for extra real estate for speakers or even stereo/hvac controls.