• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 replacement options?

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
My D20 is popping out of gear. Mostly in 5th on the freeway but more and more in 4th. Replaced the detent spring and ball for the rear with the HD spring from Jack Obrien and that stopped it popping out of lower gears. So it is probably the shift forks wearing out or rounding of one of the gears (dog gear?).

Has anyone purchased one of the rebuilt D20s from Tom’s. I worry about shift forks in these at the verge of wearing thin as they aren’t available new

My other option would be a complete rebuild from Jack with the forks welded and machined.

I think my drivetrain details are in my sig. Truck is for dunes, desert, dirt rosds and 90% street. Not really a rock crawler.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
My D20 is popping out of gear. Mostly in 5th on the freeway but more and more in 4th. Replaced the detent spring and ball for the rear with the HD spring from Jack Obrien and that stopped it popping out of lower gears. So it is probably the shift forks wearing out or rounding of one of the gears (dog gear?).

Has anyone purchased one of the rebuilt D20s from Tom’s. I worry about shift forks in these at the verge of wearing thin as they aren’t available new

My other option would be a complete rebuild from Jack with the forks welded and machined.

I think my drivetrain details are in my sig. Truck is for dunes, desert, dirt rosds and 90% street. Not really a rock crawler.
The Dana 20 is the 2nd easiest gear driven transfer case to rebuild. You should just fix yours.

It is probably not popping out of gear because of a shift fork. Shift forks and detents do NOT keep a transfer case in gear. Transfer cases should stay in gear when the gears are fully engaged.

Your notion that you are losing a "dog gear" is far more likely. Easy Peasy to fix it. Usually starts because you have lost thrust control in the bearings.

But your 20 is more than up to the task. I can do the rebuild for you if you get stuck. But you have to clean it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soylent

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
Ok. I’ll watch a few videos. I just worry if I can tell if the gears are worn out or not and any thrust settings like in a differential but that is probably something I should learn how to do. There is also the issue of the rat 3spd pill wedged at the end of the front detent tube. Jack said to get that out sooner than later so it doesn’t wallow out the end of the tube. I think you are probably not too far from me in NorCal?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Ok. I’ll watch a few videos. I just worry if I can tell if the gears are worn out or not and any thrust settings like in a differential but that is probably something I should learn how to do. There is also the issue of the rat 3spd pill wedged at the end of the front detent tube. Jack said to get that out sooner than later so it doesn’t wallow out the end of the tube. I think you are probably not too far from me in NorCal?
Fremont, CA 94536