• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dakota Digital dash and Ford EFI

Dutton

Loc.
Farmington NM
I am gathering parts to install a 5.0 EFI engine in my bronco. I am running a Dakota Digital dash that I really like. The Dakota dash uses a special speed sender that connects into the transfer case where the stock sender goes. What am I up against in order to get a speed signal to the EFI and still run my digital dash board. I think that I can tee off the oil pressure sender and there is an extra port for the coolant sender so those should not be an issue. Is there anything else that I need to get all of these things working together? Thanks for the input.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i ran into this a while back, i was able to piggy back two stock ford vss. one for DD and one ford 5.0

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
On a car I am working on now there is an output wire from the Dakota dash unit. The input is from the speed sensor but the EFI can get an output from dash control box.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i dont recall that being possible...if there is an output, i would think thats for CC. ford requires 8k pulses IIR. DD was 16k however DD can receive any pulse from 2k-200k i think

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^^ Looks like that's for 2k or 4k PPM whereas the ECU is looking for 8k. Damn weird incompatibility here; the DD comes with 16k sensor and can output 2/4k, but the Ford ECU requires 8k.

Blazinchuck, I know you ended up with x2 8k sensors back to back. Did you ever try a single OE 8k sensor with the signal split to both DD and ECU? They seem to show that in the illustration on page-8 (granted it's with a 16k sensor)..?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would not be afraid to put a lower signal rate into the EEC. But not a higher one. Most EEC computers have speed logic (not a speed limiter so much) that alters the timing at about 100 MPH. Put a double pulse rate into the EEC and that logic will occur at half the speed.

The biggest thing the EEC does with the speed signal that most will typically encounter is an anti-stall logic as you come to a stop. Keeps the IAC from trying to control a high idle caused be engine braking and being too low as you stop.