• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

D30 King Pins

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have a 68 Bronco with the stock D30 with disc conversion. While chasing a death wobble I discovered the lower passenger king pin bearing had completely failed. I use this rig just for street driving and traveling a really bad unpaved road a few times a week. I am really trying to just keep it going not restore it or rebuild the whole front axle since all the bushings and linkage have <3000 miles.

My plan was to just replace lower king pins on both sides and get on down the road. Looking at the cost of parts it may almost make sense to put a Dana 44 if I could get one locally! A kit for one king ling lower is $55 plus shipping (I would need 4 to do the whole job!)

Can anyone confirm the following?

1) The bearing is 11590
2) Race is 11520
3) Seal is 204005
4) Can I remove the race w/o knocking the cap out? The cap is pretty rusty I do not think it will survive being removed and I can't find a separate part number. Maybe slide hammer?
5) What is the purpose of the small rubber nubby that was inside the cap? I do not see that as a separate part number. It seems like the pin/cap will contact that while the shoulder sets the "backlash" of the bearing using the shim.

I found the bearings and seals on RockAuto pretty good price options - BCA, Timken, National.

Thanks for your feedback I need some "vintage" help!

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
BlueGoose has a last seen date of 11/15/23 that is not sounding good! Maybe I'll get lucky and someone else will chime in.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Looks like Bronco Graveyard shows the bearing and race are correct. They don't show a part number for the seal. They have those king pin dampeners too, if you need those. Torque King website says those dampeners are to "eliminate Death Wobble." I hope this helps a little...

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
BlueGoose has a last seen date of 11/15/23 that is not sounding good! Maybe I'll get lucky and someone else will chime in.

Here's some good info he posted in another thread a while back:

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
No new replies but I wanted to share what I did in case anyone comes across this thread. The old caps and bearing are FROZEN rusted in place and it took a lot of heat and baning but I did not want to ruin anything. I ended up grinding the outer race (pressed into D30) then chiseling it to break weaken it. Then I stuck a slide hammer into the race and used that to pound out the race . This saved me from having to destroy the caps. New bearings and seals on the way. I bought them from Rock Auto it was cheapest by far:

Part Number
Part TypePrice EACore EAQuantityTotal
1968 FORD BRONCO 4.7L 289cid V8
BCA​
NB11590Knuckle Bearing
$ 14.16​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 28.32​
BCA​
NB11520Knuckle Bearing
$ 5.69​
$ 0.00​
1​
$ 5.69​
BCA​
NS204005Knuckle Seal
$ 3.74​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 7.48​
BCA​
NS471766Axle Shaft Seal
$ 4.81​
$ 0.00​
2​
$ 9.62​

Vendor pricing for one kit (one position - not top and bottom) is $50+ for each or over $200 for all four. One has a qty of one I fixed that.

Last edited: