• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cooling experts - I need your help! - Solved!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too have seen several impeller rust off to nothing and one come loose on the shaft and spun internal ..not pushing any volumn ..I dought that is your problem but I'd be trying anything ...go to a wrecking yard an find a smaller pulley ....
AS hot and fast as yours is heating up you don't suppose you've got WP turning one direction and a fan blade pushing the wrong direction ..I've seen that combo a couple of times ..

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
How can I tell if the pitch on my fan is meant for the other direction?

The air movement is not substantial at idle - how much air should this thing be pushing at idle? Should the airflow be "a lot" or "a little"? Mine would definitely fall into the latter.

luke_hopper

I got mine at one of the web vendors. JBG I think. It has a 5.25" diameter. I did not have to get a new belt, the one you have should work just first.

Have you started the truck and let it run with the radiator cap off? If you do this, you should see some water start to flow at about 160 degrees or so. If you dont see any water flow, I would assume that your thermostat is stuck!

I would not try to "carefully" remove the cap at operating temp. Works just as well to start with the cap off. You will want to siphon a little coolant out of the radiator so it does not overflow as it nears operating temp. If you dont see it flowing at around 190. I would shut it down as you it should be flowing by then.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Problem solved!

I feel like an idiot - the fan pushing air, not pulling.
I spilled some coolant on the header as I was bypassing the heater core and it smoked upon startup - lots of smoke pulled right through the radiator - well that ain't right!!!!

I overlooked this wondering why I wasn't pushing a large volume of air - I figured it was because I was at idle.

Anyways - that was my second fan I purchased, I assumed the parts store guys knew what they were doing...

As I'm faicing the truck the fan rotates CCW, I need CW. How can I be sure the next fan I purchase is going to have the correct rotation?

Oh yeah, btw I verified that the water pump is flowing and thermostat is opening....everything else appears to be in good shape.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
well sounds bought as bad as me installing a eletric fan and it doing the same thing because I had it wired backwards.......and that got by some of classic broncos best GURU's.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Well thanks for making me feel better guys. I guess its pitch, not rotation that I need since the fan can only rotate one way - (another blonde moment). I think I'm gonna call it a day for now - gotta know when to pack it in - sounds like its time for some pumpkin beer!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Fans are usually sold as either standard rotation or reverse rotation. The reverse rotation fans are usually for Serp systems.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I did the same thing several years ago with a 67 firebird, man I was pulling my hair out by the time I figured it out. Sorry, I just now read this thread..