• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Comp Cams HE258HR cam, 351 and EFI?

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'm researching cams for my 96' 5.8 roller cam engine build. My stock cam was 'ok' but 2 roller tappets were grenaded so I'm cam shopping. I downloaded Camquest from Comp Cams, it recommended the XE258HR cam. I'm planning to run my GT40 heads and intake with either 19 or 24lb injectors with an A9P. Camquest claims good power with my combination entered it, not sure how accurate that is but it sounds good. Does anyone run this cam with EFI and if so how do you like it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k35-510-8/overview/

Amac70

ME
I run this exact cam in my 351 with edlebrock heads and lighting upper and lower combo. Im not sure you can run your gt40 heads with out some spring work. but on the performance side I really like the cam. Very good off idle and really takes off above 3000 rpms. I ran the stock f4te cam for awhile and was really unimpressed with it compared to this cam some will say its not that much different but i have run both and its worlds apart in my opinion. Has good power all through the rpms up to about 6k. the only complant i have heard about it, it is a bit loud, don't know how to describe it with short duration and lots of lift, it sounds like a sewing maching at idle. ive heard this from several people with this perticular cam.

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I will have to change out the springs to run the GT40 heads, but I already have the heads and they're already rebuilt so spending a few dollars on them won't be a huge deal.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
That is not a bad choice, but there isn't any point in going with that much lift on GT40s, They max out at .510.

You might look into Comp 35-349-8. A little less lift, but better LSA. I have not run it personally other than bench racing. It's the best candidate that I've found on paper anyway.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with EFI Guy. The cam he listed will still provide lots of torque and be VERY computer friendly. (114 LSA)

camp9k

I am running this cam in my 73 bronco with a c4 and I have ford racing aluminum heads on a 5.0 with fuel injection. Great cam! The lift is too high for gt-40 heads. I just bought the comp cam 35-349-8 and springs for my other bronco that I have a 96 explorer motor for. My thinking was I won't see any benefit from a lift over .510 and it will idle better than my 35-510-8 cam. sorry I don't have it running or I could tell you how they compare.
John

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I'm researching cams for my 96' 5.8 roller cam engine build. My stock cam was 'ok' but 2 roller tappets were grenaded so I'm cam shopping. I downloaded Camquest from Comp Cams, it recommended the XE258HR cam. I'm planning to run my GT40 heads and intake with either 19 or 24lb injectors with an A9P. Camquest claims good power with my combination entered it, not sure how accurate that is but it sounds good. Does anyone run this cam with EFI and if so how do you like it?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k35-510-8/overview/

Why would you even want this if you are going EFI (Learning myself have a 351 I want to do the same with )

Computer-Controlled Compatible:No

http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/cca-k35-510-8/overview/

OP
OP
needabronco

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I've been running a cam that supposedly isn't 'comuter compatable' for the last 5 years with EFI with no ill effects. I believe that designation is meant for speed density computer's, not mass air systems.

The XE264HR cam was on the Camquest also and looks good. It's rated at 25 ft lbs less than the first cam according to their desk dyno... Would a 1.7 ratio rocker gain anything back compared to the 258 cam?

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I don't think that their Dyno software accounts for your cylinder heads not increasing in flow past the .510 lift. That's why it "thinks" that you're leaving 25 ft lbs on the table. I can't see increasing the lift past .512 gaining you anything. At some point port velocity may even suffer from the extra lift.

Amac70

ME
That cam is computer compatble, been running fine in mine for years, summit has it mislabled, it says its good on comp cams site.

skerrybronco

Loc.
Montreal,Canada

camp9k

302, aluminum heads, 65mm throttle body, pro 80 MAF, 30lb injectors, explorer intake, A9L computer, WH shorty headers, magna flow exhaust and that cam (XE258HR cam)...kinda loud but the cam works great for me.