• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Colorado Bronco Owners Group Snow Run

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The Colorado Bronco Owners Group - a Facebook Group mainly for Gen6's - held a snow run / snow wheeling class on Saturday which I attended. Nine Gen6's attended. Great day, perfect weather and some really nice trails. The format was we all trailed for a while then there was a snow wheeling technique demo, trail ride some more, another technique demo, repeat! It made for a very fun and informative day. Kudos to Kelly Shaw who led the event.

First demo was chaining up in the snow - little more challenging than practicing on your driveway! Then use of traction boards and then some winching techniques to help in snow situation.

I was very impressed with the new Bronco's snow capability. We hit snow anywhere from 6 inches to 2 feet deep with a couple of drifts even deeper. All the Broncos did great included a 2-door base with no lockers. All my previous snow wheeling trips have been in my early Bronco with a bikini top, poor heat, no doors and windows and no seat heaters! I'm getting spoiled!!

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a good time! I know this is an age-old debate, but I see people with chains on the rear, but not the front? When I was a kid growing up in snow country, we usually chained the front first - the thought being that we retained more braking and steering control with chains on the front than the rear.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looks like a good time! I know this is an age-old debate, but I see people with chains on the rear, but not the front? When I was a kid growing up in snow country, we usually chained the front first - the thought being that we retained more braking and steering control with chains on the front than the rear.

Todd Z.
Growing up in OK where it's relatively flat other than the SE corner and far east side of the NE corner, folks were just more worried about being able to go rather than steer lol. Most folks only had rear wheel drive cars and trucks at the time too.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Todd, that was discussed and 2 factors were pointed out. First, without at least 1/2 inch spacers on the front only cable style chains will fit which was pretty much the determining factor for all of us attending. But, Second, front or rear should be determined by where you need the traction most - going uphill or going downhill? Going up chains in the rear, going down, especially on ice, chains in the front where most of the weight is. That made sense to me.

Interestingly, the preferred GOAT mode was Mud and Ruts. Seemed to work very well.

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd, that was discussed and 2 factors were pointed out. First, without at least 1/2 inch spacers on the front only cable style chains will fit which was pretty much the determining factor for all of us attending. But, Second, front or rear should be determined by where you need the traction most - going uphill or going downhill? Going up chains in the rear, going down, especially on ice, chains in the front where most of the weight is. That made sense to me.
Gotcha - I wondered maybe if there were some clearance issues with the suspension pieces on the newer rigs. 10-4 on the selection of where to place them. That makes sense to me.
Interestingly, the preferred GOAT mode was Mud and Ruts. Seemed to work very well.
Someday I'll get a chance to try out one of these new-fangled rigs with all these modes!

Todd Z.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
My plow truck gets chains in the rear first . The weight of the plow adds extra traction up front and we all know how little traction the rear of a pickup has.

love cam lock and vbar chains.

Looks like a good time. Along with future people to hit the trails with, especially knowing the have some good information on doing things the right way.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
looks like a good time. I always enjoy snow wheeling, just can't get enough to do it here very often and then its here and gone before I can get away from work to enjoy it.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
My plow truck gets chains in the rear first . The weight of the plow adds extra traction up front and we all know how little traction the rear of a pickup has.

love cam lock and vbar chains.

Looks like a good time. Along with future people to hit the trails with, especially knowing the have some good information on doing things the right way.
I had to borrow the chains I used - they were cam-lock and V-bar and worked very well. I will definitely get some cam-lock ones when I buy a set. The traction boards worked well too. I have always thought they were gimmicky kinda like snorkels but after seeing them work (and how to properly use them) I just might get a set!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
. . .

Someday I'll get a chance to try out one of these new-fangled rigs with all these modes!

Todd Z.
Most of the long-time Bronco drivers will say "Who needs the GOAT modes? Just manually select 4WD and turn the lockers on and off as needed." Well the GOAT modes do more than that by adjusting shift points, feathering the throttle, possibly adjusting steering feel, and the off-road only modes turn on the front camera and keep it on at any speed - which I like. I've used Eco, Slippery, Mud/Ruts, and Baja and all have a different "feel". I've not tried Sand and my Badlands does not have Sport. Yet.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The electronic additions work really well. They can turn a poor driver into acceptable and an old veteran trail dog gets to relax and let it do the work.

However as much as I praise them and enjoy them I do believe they assist newbies into never learning to drive and when the assists don’t get it done they are immediately over their head. It also gives them the confidence that they don’t seek more learning, causing heartburn on the trails. I do appreciate that Ford has invested in teaching people basic etiquette and what those tools bring to the table. Every manufacturer needs to take notes and create their own program, including atv/utv’s, and they need to make it required as part of purchase.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Most of the long-time Bronco drivers will say "Who needs the GOAT modes? Just manually select 4WD and turn the lockers on and off as needed." Well the GOAT modes do more than that by adjusting shift points, feathering the throttle, possibly adjusting steering feel, and the off-road only modes turn on the front camera and keep it on at any speed - which I like. I've used Eco, Slippery, Mud/Ruts, and Baja and all have a different "feel". I've not tried Sand and my Badlands does not have Sport. Yet.
Gary, I can fix that with my laptop the next time we meet.
v/r,
Mike

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Gary, I can fix that with my laptop the next time we meet.
v/r,
Mike
Yes, I've been meaning to contact you about that! You're in the Springs, correct? We're there often to visit my daughter and grand kids.

Oh, and get rid of the double honk too!!