• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Color Matching- Paint Gurus- finally getting some paint!!

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I'll second PaPitt.

I've had great luck with factory colors blending. What becomes more difficult are repaints that aren't exact to begin with and then having to try and figure out which direction to go with laying it down and the color and maybe that's because I'm not a painter by trade.

Is your truck a base/clear or an older single stage? If you wax it does color come off onto the rag?

Color does not come off on the rag... I assume base/clear...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I've painted a few cars. lol. We always go for a blendable match. We rarely panel paint anything. The proper repair for that is to blend. Any painter working in a body shop knows how to blend. It's actually an extremely easy color to blend. No flop or pearls in it.
hmm just a few;D

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Dropped it off at 1pm today- just got this from the painter. He said he just has to shoot the door inserts tomorrow morning and I can pick it up tomorrow.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
It looks like he easily blended it but why didn't he r&i the marker light??? It also looks like a lot of orange peel. Does the rest of the Bronco have a bunch of orange peel?

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
It looks like he easily blended it but why didn't he r&i the marker light??? It also looks like a lot of orange peel. Does the rest of the Bronco have a bunch of orange peel?

Now you've got me nervous...

I wouldn't know what orange peel looked like- I don't paint. Other than nicks and scratchs from time, the paint looked good to me before this. Like you Allen, he doesn't this for a living, I hope he sees what you're seeing and gets it right...

It appears that he didn't pull the marker lights. Do you need to go that far to blend?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Orange peel is basically textured paint.... like an orange peel.
Taping up the marker light isn't the best way to paint it. It can possibly peel around the edges if not sanded very good. I wonder why he didn't remove it. It's extremely easy to remove. It took more time to tape, sand/scuff around it and pull the tape back off it than it would have to just remove it.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I picked it up today. Jury is out on the orange peel as I am not 100% sure what I am looking at. He didn't paint all the way to the lights to blend, but was protecting them from overspray (his comment). Yes it would have been easier to take them off... he did also tell me that he believes the paint to be a '99 Mustang color- close to the '77 Jade Metallic I was told it was by the guy who owned the truck when It was painted.

That aside- I am not happy with the result. Overall I think the color looks OK from a distance, but there is definitely some issues with the clear- small imperfections and even a couple of small bubbles. I am not being overly critical either.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Sounds like it needs to be wet sanded then polished,doing that removes small bubbles and imperfections.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Sounds like it needs to be wet sanded then polished,doing that removes small bubbles and imperfections.

Kind of what I am thinking... you would think a reputable shop would have offered to do that.

Looks good to me but I am not a pro. Did you put doors on it in anticipation of putting a top on it?

No top. I have had the doors for a few years. I like the door look and I can drive the truck on colder and rainy days. The soft doors allow air and water to come in and you freeze your tail off.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Kind of what I am thinking... you would think a reputable shop would have offered to do that.

No top. I have had the doors for a few years. I like the door look and I can drive the truck on colder and rainy days. The soft doors allow air and water to come in and you freeze your tail off.

Yes they should have offered to cut and buff however it also depends on the rest of the vehicle, if it was done. Most body shops will prefer to attempt to match whatever orange peel is on the rest of the vehicle. If it was cut and buffed before then they should have followed suit to complete the blend. In the pics it looks like he got a good blend on it, if it is blems in the clear, then they will clean up as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I knew the doors were not brand new and I understand the waviness of the panels- they couldn't control that as I only asked for paint. Orange peel aside- (it may have been there to start with). The issue I have is below...

The truck after paint and installing flares, etc at home.

The bubbles I have found in the paint. It appears to me that they are in the clear coat. I'm not happy that any body shop would expect someone to be OK with this leaving the shop... zoom in on the pic- these stick up like the tip of a pen and were not in the original paint. There are 6-8 of these types of anomalies in different areas.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Yes they should have offered to cut and buff however it also depends on the rest of the vehicle, if it was done. Most body shops will prefer to attempt to match whatever orange peel is on the rest of the vehicle. If it was cut and buffed before then they should have followed suit to complete the blend. In the pics it looks like he got a good blend on it, if it is blems in the clear, then they will clean up as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably should have had you do it Tom...

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I don't know anything about paint, but it looks so good with the doors on.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Todd I love it with the doors! That looks like trash in the paint, he should take care of that for you. Give him a call, I am certain he did not color sand simply because the paint is too fresh with our present temps etc. I painted and cleared my tailgate yesterday morning, turned it face down on a padded cart to install components and the cart left light bless in the clear and it was only face down for a few minutes. They will come out when we cut and buff but that won't happen for at least a week.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
needs some polished slots now......jus sayin buddy!