• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb Rebuild

roades1

Hey Guys, I've got a stock 2100 I believe and would like to rebuild it. Hoping to get some recommendations on a quality kit. I'm also at about 5,200 foot elevation but head up into the hills occasionally. Where can I go to get a good rebuild kit with the option to get the appropriate jet kit?

45umKxrAUN7n8qm5A

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roades1

Here's a couple pictures of the Carb I have.

Attachments

• IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 40

AC932

Contributor
I've had great luck with NAPA carb rebuild kits for all the gaskets and whatnot. Don't come with jets though. I've never really screwed with those.

OP
OP
R

roades1

Thanks, that's a pretty slick website he's got. I just noticed I also have a stripped screw holding the pump on the front of the carb. Suppose I'll be retapping that while doing the rebuild.

Anyone have any luck installing the 2150 in place of the 2100? Like the idea of having an electric choke and a new carb looks pretty sharp.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There would be no advantage in swapping in a 2150 for your 2100. They are more complicated solely to meet emissions requirements. The 2100 is extremely tolerant of altitude changes, so I doubt you need any jet changes. I've run them from the 2000 ft. of Tucson to the 9000 ft of nearby Mt. Lemon. The only changes needed were idle mixture and automatic choke setting. Since your 2100 looks like '66 model with brass vent tubes that were gone in the '67 up 2100s and an automatic choke that Broncos didn't get till 1970, I think it's from another vehicle. An actual manual choke would be an advantage for overnight stays at higher altitude. Your profile states that your truck is a '74 and the intake has '68 casting number. So nothing is consistent. The one change you may want to make is a real manual choke like this one that's super over priced; https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-352-F...025113&hash=item48e365dbef:g:Bw8AAOSwsKReXYLb It's a good example, that's twice what it should cost.

OP
OP
R

roades1

Jckky, thanks for helping me out. After doing a little more digging I like your idea of having just a manual choke on a 2100. Much simpler and I'd have more control. Looking at the one you posted the link to on Ebay it says the venturi is 1.14. From what it sounds like that may be a little big, is that right? Looking on Mike's Carborator website he says I should be looking for a 1.04 for my engine.

In regards to the consistancy unfortunately I bought this truck years ago from a guy who had very little knowledge of what had been done to it. The title says 74 but the intake is stamped 289 so truth be told I'm not 100% what I'm working with here.

snoddas

Jckky, thanks for helping me out. After doing a little more digging I like your idea of having just a manual choke on a 2100. Much simpler and I'd have more control. Looking at the one you posted the link to on Ebay it says the venturi is 1.14. From what it sounds like that may be a little big, is that right? Looking on Mike's Carborator website he says I should be looking for a 1.04 for my engine.

In regards to the consistancy unfortunately I bought this truck years ago from a guy who had very little knowledge of what had been done to it. The title says 74 but the intake is stamped 289 so truth be told I'm not 100% what I'm working with here.

Hi,
They probably swap to the 289 intake for get rid of the EGR/emission stuff.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure you install a new float too, if yours has the black composite one. They always "look fine" but are invariable overweight if they have some age on them, and that screws up the control of the fuel level in the bowl. Most kits do not include the float.

OP
OP
R

roades1

Ahh, that makes sense. There are remnants of an early emissions system. Good call.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The 1.04" venturi 2100 was used on 260 and 255 engines. The 289-302s got 1.08" or 1.14" venturi 2100s. As I said, that's not an original Bronco carb. A 1.04", of course will work.