• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can I paint my radiator?

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Dumb question I know, but for those of you who have yet to read my posts, this is what to expect from a newbie like me! I have a stock radiator in perfectly good working condition. I am upgrading my PS pump and powder coating some pulleys and replaci belts. In the process, I removed the radiator and would like to freshen it up with a can of rustoleum. My concern is that I may reduce the effectiveness of the radiator's ability to cool if I spray over the fins. Shouldi nor spray the radiator? Maybe just spray the parts other than the cooling fins? Appreciate any feedback.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes you probably shouldn't paint the fins atleast not alot.....
I painted all but the fins on mine. Made it look nice and then did a light fog coat on the fins. I have had no ill effects.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
By the way I had one years ago that seemed like it had too much paint on the fins. I masked off the tanks and used old brake fluid too take the paint off the fins. If you have plenty of time the brake fluid makes for a great paint stripper.
In the end I had the tanks looking shiny black and the brass fins exposed/raw. It was a cool look and it may have worked a little better.

OP
OP
G

Gweiner

Loc.
Charlotte
Awesome - thanks guys. Just ordered the Eastwood paint and will start by cleaning the radiator. Happy holidays - hope you all are getting as fat as I am this week!

mason44

Paint helps protect the copper/brass from corrosion, radiator suppliers and shops always paint radiators for this reason

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
I would have hust bought a can of Krylon BBQ High Heat paint. Same stuff for WAY less!